new internal doors + fitting

does anyone know the cost of buying and having new internal doors fitted?

also any difference in going for the pine style ones or white ones (already primed??)

i'm thinking of the 6 panel ones. i think i need 5/6 for the whole place.

Reply to
benpost

Doors from £15 to £35. Hinges, handles and latch - £7 to £25 Fitting, £30 - £50 each, maybe less for all 6 at the same time - I'd charge £100 labour for that.

So the cheapest would be around £250, but more likely to be £300 - £350.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

And extremely reasonable that would be, even in a non London area!

Reply to
EricP

thanks Alan, that would be a good price, it would make a big difference. Probably one of the last jobs I do I'd guess in about a month. Thanks for the prices.

Reply to
benpost

I just had a local company supply and fit 8 internal 6 panel doors for £380. Excellent job they did too. The only problem was having to paint them all in undercoat and gloss. I don't recommend Crown paint from B&Q, well not the non drip ones. The company had to send me a replacement tin. I was impressed with the doors as all the squares at the top are the same height as you look along the walls and they were trimmed perfectly. It only took the man about 4 hours and he took the old ones away after chopping them up!

Reply to
TLodge

£100 to hang 6 doors? How long would it take you - I reckon its over a days work.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Four hours to hang 8 doors? Did he wear his underpants over his trousers?

You are having a giraffe.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Internals, with basic latch, not much over a hour each. Unless the house is really old, then internals seem to fit a lot better than external doors IME, so less time spent planing the sides, less time chiselling out the mortices, so it isnt a particulalry long job. Externals nearly always take me 3 hours to fit, I havent had one yet that needed at least 3 sides trimming. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Don't buy the preformed panel hollow ones from sheds. They are crap anyway and the sheds break them for good measure.

I now buy mine from

and buy the 3 panel clear pine and paint them. Solid doors are incomparably better. The delivery is better for, say 6 at a time.

No connection with company but latest order arrives Thursday morning (as it happens). They also have a good range of sizes

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Their delivery is now free apparently!

S.

Reply to
Stuart Barrie

Yes - I just noticed that. Checked my current order and delivery was free. Back in April I paid £20. Even better!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Had a quick look in b and q and noticed the internal doors in knotted pine for =A325 each. I actually thought the knotted ones looked better than the clear ones, plus they are quite a bit cheaper.

With pine doors what kind of finish is recommended? What's the easiest way to protect the wood?

Reply to
benpost

With pine doors what kind of finish is recommended? What's the easiest way to protect the wood?"

Hi,

First of all have a look in Wickes as they may be cheaper, they certainly were when i changed some doors about 18 months ago.

I have glossed and used varnish on interior doors and i have found it much easier to apply a varnish or woodstain, with gloss it can be messy and you will usually need a primer or if no undercoat is required 2 coats of gloss to give a half decent finish . Woodstain is simple and quick, apply using a brush or with some brands i think you can just wipe it on, it dries quickly too.

Hope this helps

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Cheers Tom, sounds like woodstain would be the easier and time saving option. thinking about it, I think i prefer the idea of wood doors rather than white painted ones. Would you go for clear pine or knotted? I thought knotted looked better but does this mean more work??

Reply to
benpost

You should use clear knotting compound on the knots first to prevent resin bleed through.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Our doors have some knots in them, i did not use any knot treatment solution and they still seem fine. If i recall we just used ronseal woodstain.

Reply to
Tom