Boiler advice, and stud detection.

Hi, all.
2 questions, if I may... Major building work here at Chaos Manor.
On the outline spec and quotation, the replacement boiler was priced up for an unspecified Wocster Bosch model. We come back from 3.5 week holiday, and a good deal of the work is underway. The boiler swap-out has been done, but the boiler is an 'Alpha' brand. ( non-combi, wall mounted system boiler. ) I'm not familiar with the brand. Is it a POS who's PCB will go Phut one day after the minimal warranty expires, causing much teeth-sucking and "Oh, the PCB will cost 300, not worth it mate. Best replace the whole thing."?
1) Is the difference in quality / price worth making a fuss over?
Secondly, I'm taking advantage of the chaos to flood fill the place with cat6 and ct100. It's all in place pretty much, but I've got to do several drops down through the walls. I'm obviously running into difficulties with cross-members ( called 'dwangs' locally ). I'm not very good at interpreting the 'hollow-knock' method, and the option of pushing a thin-bladed screwdriver through the plasterboard in a series of test-pokes is starting to wear thin.
2) Do 'stud detectors' work? Any advice on brands, etc?
--
Ron

Ron Lowe wrote:

After having several metal/pipe detectors of the chocolate teapot variety, I took advice from this ng that Zircon was the brand to go for and took advantage of a trip to the US to buy one at a good price - I'm certainly very pleased with it (stud detection has been it's main use).
David
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 19:17:29 +0100, Ron Lowe wrote:

We have a FAQ that very nearly covers this. See Boiler Choice below.
Ron Lowe wrote:

Don't know about a system boiler because we have an Alpha CD32C condensing combi but I can say that we're very well pleased with ours. WB used to have an excellent reputation with Alpha well down the pack but the tables have now turned.
I don't know about other manufacturers now but I believe that when we had our Alpha fitted (about two and a half years ago now), they were the only manufacturer to give a 3-year warranty as standard. It's been in daily use and never given us any problems at all so I'd say that you've nothing to worry about.
John