Electric showers

I've built three shower rooms so far and I've learnt: Fit a really good room heater and make sure it's on for 45 minutes before you take a shower.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Is your outbuilding connected to the house? A 10.5kW shower will require a 10mm sq. T&E cable and that's before you consider lighting and heating.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Our electric shower is well over 10 years old and in a hard water area and it's still going strong (without a softener).

Reply to
Bod

My first one lasted 21 years on hard water. Changed it only because some mechanical bits eventually were beyond repair.

Reply to
PeterC

That has to be a recommendation! Aqualisa Quartz in Harpenden flat (lots of showering) lasts 6 months before limescale on the heater causes

*overheat trips*.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

In in doubt:

John Rumm

40 degree rise in water temp (10 C to 50 C ie a nice hot shower in winter): 7.0 kW 2.50 l/min (4.3 pints/min) 10.5 kW 3.75 l/min (6.6 pints/min)

The 7 kW is not much more than a large dribble, 10.5 kW more acceptable and with careful choice of shower head may produce a decent shower. It depends what you like froma shower, high pressure low flow needles or low pressure good flow drench.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

pre-heat

23 kW available so yes but the 2 kW fan heater and/or the load of the rest of the house might be a problem. B-) But then the 100 A fuse isn't going to blow at 2 mA over 100 A...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The current Mira Sport is doing ok, and the previous Triton did fine once I learned to run it cold before turning it off (the Mira Sport does that automatically, Triton replaced due to shower rebuild).

Reply to
Clive George

If I shower with the water at over 40C it seems far too hot.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

If I shower at less than 50C it seems far too cold.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com presented the following explanation :

The higher the power, the faster can be the flow rate whilst still holding the same temperature.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Excellent.

Reply to
Bod

It's a Gainsborough T20.....8.4 Kw.

Reply to
Bod

I sense a conflict, if you both shower together :-)

Reply to
Bod

50c is painfully hot. Ours is electronic thermostatic and I've just checked the setting I use - 39.2. She always complains that is not hot enough for her and sets it to 41.6.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The better ones don't have a flow control any more, they just have a button(s) and a dial for the temperature setting. The water flow is controlled by solenoid valves and the power by triacs. Well worth paying the extra for, because you can just dial your temperature in and the output temperature is very closely controlled to a fraction of a degree.

I would not install another of the type where you have to adjust the flow manually.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Not if you install a modern one, where you dial in your temperature.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

High pressure, 20l a minute myself.

Reply to
dennis

Well the mixer valve on the output of the thermal store is set to the low 50's it's hot but not excessively so.

And you've checked the calibration? I always find the 43C "maximum safe temperature" click stop on hotel showers very definately on the cold side of cool.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice