Reply to
Uncle Peter

There are some important issues here, before you bite...

#1 - Instant Water Heaters

Instant water heaters provide limited temperature rise.

- 8.8kW == 38oC @ 4.8L/min flow

- 9.6kW == 38oC @ 5.5L/min flow

Temperature rise is dependent on CW inlet temp.

- Those figures assume 12oC

- Jan 12th was 6.7oC at 10am, very much lower

High kW means lots of amps which means big cable sizes for an outbuilding.

- First you need sufficient size for the amps - 10mm to begin with

- Second you need sufficient size to prevent voltage drop, 9.6kW at 240V be comes 8.8kW at 230V - 16mm or larger may be needed

The positive is they can be quick to fit n compact.

- ZIP ILX / CEX provide 9.6kW digital temp control - fit any fixed or mobil e shower head @ 5-6L/min, add a wash basin off the same heater

- Many off the shelf flashier shower units

#2 - Stored Water Heater

Vented... Stiebel Eltron do an EB15SL, an unvented 15L shower-only water heater, prov ides 45L at 37oC which with a 6L/min head is a reasonable 9 minutes showeri ng. It only requires a 2kW or 3kW supply - vastly less of your cable size f or instant ends up huge/long and thus costly.

You MUST use them with a TMV, mixing with cold water to get than 45L at 37o C. Essentially they work by you turning on a tap to SUPPLY both tank CW fee d & TMV CW feed - so pushing out hot water from the tank. This could be a s imple Grohe shower stopvalve (on/off) or a remote solenoid valve SELV suppl ied (low voltage re zones).

The EU gets a better version of this, think it goes larger with computerise d display of capacity remaining - France & Spain. I think the UK system bec ause it is 15L gets a PRV etc due to recent regulation change, ask Stiebel. An interesting idea for a shower because you COULD use a better 10l/min he ad and TMV set to 38oC to get a proper 4 min good blast. Avg time in UK sho wers is about 7 mins so whilst short it is pretty good.

Another form of vented is a simple CW/HW cistern & shower pump if you have no head (about 1m height difference is needed re tank to shower head). New legislation I think mandates 15mm pipework to shower (no longer 22mm) and l imits on flow rate too for a new shower - not checked but lots of eco-comin g through.

Unvented... Many solutions here, but G3 plumber or BCO involvement required. Powerflow

50L tank with TMV. Frankly the best is stainless without anode re maintenan ce, but it is a good option if you have sufficient water flow.

Electric hits a problem in winter, I guess you could fit a very large coil of 50mm copper pipe in a warm place... plenty of pik^^^people would offer t o store it for you if they found out :-)

Reply to
js.b1

Why should it?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

They probably realised you don't need to. In fact it's been shown you should only bathe once a week. Every day rubs off friendly bacteria.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Queen Elizabeth (the previous one) "took a bath once a year, whether she needed it or not"

Reply to
charles

Blocked outlet.

Reply to
Windmill

That does not make any sense - the temperature is not dictated by the rate of heat input (i.e. power) alone - you need to know the flow rate as well.

6 Litres per minute being heated at 7kW is not "scolding" (ITYM scalding) hot, but in fact "tepid" since you won't even get a 20 degree rise in temperature.
Reply to
John Rumm

Now there is a mental picture I could have done without ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

As I said elsewhere in this thread, you must be using torrents of water. And here was me thinking showers were supposed to save water....

Reply to
Uncle Peter

6 lpm is far from torrents... a typical mixer shower will do between 7 and 15 lpm. A soaker head or body jets can take that into the 20 - 30 lpm range.
Reply to
John Rumm

Oh for heaven's sake, you trying to argue with a troll! Just killfile him!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I've never measured mine, but I can make it too hot at a reasonable flow rate.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Lol.

Reply to