cordless vacuum cleaners query

Do you mean a Dyson animal?

Reply to
bert

Well, true. but that doesn't mean that they can't make useful devices, depends on what you are looking for.

I use our DC59 most days and if I had a small flat for example I think I'd be happy with it as my only hoover.

I sort of resent having to get the mains one out nowadays, it seems such a faff and an effort humping it around compare to the cordless.

Reply to
Chris French

In message , Tim Streater writes

not sure about the weight thing.

Indeed.

Personally I prefer a cylinder machine. Easier to manoeuvre around furniture, less weight to be pushed around. In the last 18 years, having had first a cylinder, then an upright and then a cylinder again, the cleaning effectiveness (on a mix of hard floors and carpet) seems to be about the same to me.

But horses for course etc.

Well, not without faffing around getting out the hose, or changing tools etc. Never tried cleaning my nan with it, will have to see how that goes :-)

Yup, when giving the rooms a good clean, I often have both. Using the cordless for edges, nooks, spider webs, sofa cushions and the mains for the bulk of it.

Reply to
Chris French

I became *dead* *sure* about that the moment I used a carpet cleaner, where I went and rented the cheaper one, the carpet-cleaner equivalent of a cylinder vacuum cleaner. *Very* hard work, made me wish I'd spent the extra and rented an "upright" where the weight of the device does the work for you.

A cylinder is also useful for some conditions, but not on carpets. When I got the original Dyson 20 or more years ago, I had at the time a small cylinder Electrolux, that I'd assumed I'd be getting rid of. Then I realised the two are useful in different situations, so I kept it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I'd say that is very true. No one vacuum will do every task perfectly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But how do you measure such things and compare them, ah yes the wattage. I think dyson quote air watts whatever that means.

I have a dyson rechargable about 2 years old (purple) which has a replaceable battery and a compact dyson upright (animal version).

Reply to
whisky-dave

Same here we have that Dyson and it used 10 times more than the old one as it is so convenient. If you are near a Currys or John Lewis then why not go and have a look at its storage charging options. The battery is charged in side the hoover - at home it is hung on the wall. At work it is put anywher e near a socket. Separting the battery from the hoover means it is a faff w hen you see some dirt to hoover up....

Reply to
Ernest Clark

s it is so convenient. If you are near a Currys or John Lewis then why not go and have a look at its storage charging options. The battery is charged inside the hoover - at home it is hung on the wall. At work it is put anywh ere near a socket. Separting the battery from the hoover means it is a faff when you see some dirt to hoover up....

Oi stop hoovering with a dyson ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave