Completely OT. Grocery delivery services

I buy the 1% stuff anyway, if I can.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You *liked* the liver (with tubes) and bacon? And the rhubarb tart (aka sink cleaner).

Reply to
Tim Watts

When the health industry started promoting the goodness of low-fat milk, the dairy industry rubbed their hands with glee, as they had millions of litres of the stuff. I don't believe in co-incidences like that.

Reply to
grimly4

Yes, I don't know what they do to it, but Cravendale milk tastes like regular semi skimmed but easily lasts more than a week after opening. I've noticed Tesco are now selling their own version called "pure" which exhibits similar properties.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Cravendale Semi Skimmed Milk 2 Litre is £1.88 - 94p/litre Tesco Pure Fresh Semi Skimmed Milk 2 Litre is £1.58 - 79p/litre AND is on 3 for 2 at the moment Tesco regular Semi Skimmed Milk 2.272ltr (4 pints) is £1.18 - 52p/litre.

I would buy the Tesco Pure stuff at 3 for 2 and keep it in the fridge, it usually has about 3 weeks date on it!!

And to me it tastes the same as normal semi skimmed (way better than UHT, for example).

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Me either.

Agree.

Agree!

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

Not only that, but they take the bags out of the boxes and hand them to you. Tesco just put the boxes on the doorstep, grunt, and then wait for you to bend down and empty the boxes yourself.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

So why not carry on?

The co-op near us used to let you do your shopping and then they would put it to one side (refrigerating anything that needed it), then come round and deliver it to your door later that day or the next day.

Reply to
funkyoldcortina

If they were the taller bottles (more like white win ebottles) I remember well then it was "sterilised" rather than UHT. AIUI sterilised was treated at lower temperatuires for longer than the "ultra high temperature" in UHT so the flavour of UHT is affected less.

Reply to
Robin

I have retired so am quite happy(ish) to go and choose what we want. Local Morrisons fish is excellent.

Mum used to shop in Iceland or the Co-op and they would deliver. Unfortunately she can't get to the shops anymore.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

It is what I do - look at the back of the shelf, where the shelf stackers should be trained to put new stuff, instead of taking the goods from the front.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And what is wrong with that? A good use of society's resources, if you ask me.

I was using the 1% stuff in the US, 25 years ago. Removing three-quarters of the fat from milk (of which I drink a lot, one way and another) means I have a good excuse to cajole SWMBO into providing a fry-up from time to time.

Trouble is, Tesco have stopped doing it, Waitrose only do it in 2pt bottles, and Sainsbury & Morrison's appear to stock it intermittently only. And they can't decide whether it's purple top or orange top.

Reply to
Tim Streater

And more than double the price the diary farmer gets. OK there needs to be some markup to cover transport and processing but...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I didn't, it was overcooked to be old shoe leather.

It's hard to muck up bacon.

I've always hated rhubarb. And gooseberries, yuck. And peppers, even more yuck.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, be interesting to know what Tesco's profit on this klim is (after all the overheads).

Reply to
Tim Streater

So, do the extra profits find their way to the farmer's gate? I think not.

Reply to
grimly4

They tasted like cardboard to me.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Not just transport and processing. Real estate costs (land, buildings). Heating and lighting of the premises. Shop fittings. Staff salaries/wages.

Reply to
S Viemeister

In the case of skimmed milk they start with tap water and then add milk flavoured emulsion paint.

Reply to
The Other Mike

It should last longer than that. Either your fridge isn't cold, or its been badly stored before purchase, or its getting contaminated during use.

The fine filtered milk like Cravendale lasts much longer, I've left some unopened in the fridge by accident and it was still usable nearly three weeks after purchase.

Reply to
The Other Mike