Completely OT. Grocery delivery services

It's just personal. I like milk, I drink a fair amount of it, and I can tell the difference. Unlike UHT, I can actually drink it if there's no choice, but it's still not great.

Reply to
Clive George

Neither did old "red top", because it was homogonised - which seems to be the defacto for most milk these days.

In the 70's my mum switched from silver top (regular, cream on top) to red top and both were common with the Express Dairy.

Not be be confused with red/silver-stripeytop which was semi-skimmed IIRC.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I assumed he was talking about meat.

Even sorting though them yourselves it's difficult to get ones more than 4 days hence.

I'm surprised that anyone can survive off of internet shopping for such items (and if you have to go to the supermarket for that you might as well go for everything, is m view)

tim

Reply to
tim......

Have you tried cornflakes with milk warm from the cow? That's not stale! Pete

Reply to
Pete Shew

It's not just me, then. SWMBO moans that "It's perfectly OK" when I can't even go near it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It still is. That's what I use.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

The old glass bottles were so much more massive than the lighter-weight replacements that they kept cooler for longer.

But those third-of-a-pint school bottles were disgusting beyond belief.

Reply to
polygonum

No they weren't. I typically drank two every day.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think they changed from bottles to little tetrapacks when I was at school. I hated that - warm milk that smelt of a cow's underpants.

Reply to
Tim Watts

The milkman, by the sounds of it...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I liked it as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I commonly do a monthly shop and fill the freezer. There's stuff in there that's over a year old (it gets buried or I don't fancy it, so it gets buried for another few months) which is perfectly edible, as I've found every time I've decided to use up the oldest stuff.

A mate's mum was the same with tins of soup, etc, at the back of cupboards. I found some 8, 9, and 10 year old cans which were fine to eat.

Reply to
grimly4

Because there's nothing left to seperate. All the creamy goodness has been skimmed off by the dairy industry and what's left just barely corresponds to the legal definition of 'whole milk'.

Reply to
grimly4

Nonsense - good for you, they were.

Reply to
grimly4

On 29/11/2011 22:54, Steve Walker wrote: ...

ISTR that someone, probably Which?, did a survey comparing on line shopping with buying at the store and found that on line orders typically had use by dates around five days later than the same goods bought in store.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Looking at the dates when you buy means you can choose the freshest items. Best before dates are only guidelines, so I do ignore those. However, I keep strictly to use by dates. They are only applied where 'it is likely that microbiological changes could result in the food becoming an immediate danger to human health after a short period of time' and 'the food is ready to eat without cooking or further processing', or 'the hazard could remain after the intended cooking or other processing'.

The UHT milk I bought a few weeks ago, I buy a pack of 6 x half litre cartons at a time, has a best before date of 12 March 2012.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I remember becoming rather frustrated, as a ca. 6 y.o., trying to explain to schoolmates how to count the number of milkbottles in a crate in the schoolyard by multiplying six by five (thirty bottles). They couldn't understand why I counted one bottle twice...

I subsequently gave up and became pretty useless at maths..

At secondary (grammar-technical) school I was occasionally "invited" to detention for Engtlish Language where Doc Watson ("Felix") would obtain spare bottles of milk to accompany fruit pastilles whilst you did any homework...

:-|

Reply to
Frank Erskine

In article , Tim Streater scribeth thus

Me too!, or more, as no one else wanted it. Much the same with the school dinners they were fine really were, just that some kids even in those days (mid 60's) were spoilt rotten!...

Reply to
tony sayer

That would be one of Which's cockups that make their reviews useless. As the deliveries from Sainsbury, Asda and Tesco all come off the supermarket shelves they can't get stuff with a later date than a shopper going into the store and buying the stuff. The goods come from the same place and pickers and shoppers have the same choice.

It would require the shopper to look for the earliest date, which is probably what Which did.

Reply to
dennis

Short dated stuff then? Mine has a date of 9 May 2012. Its skimmed milk and the UHT long life stuff tastes far better than the fresh stuff. The dairy industry can keep the fat, its horrible stuff and makes tea taste funny.

Reply to
dennis