Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Page 8 of 13

...our addicted one babbles on....

< snip tedium >

Every exist poll on election day been amazingly accurate.

Once again, out with the insults rather than discussion.

Again. You really can't argue worth shit. This either means you are very old to usenet (and know the tricks), or you are new and stupid.

I think you mean exit poll, and that's a completely different kettle of fish. The people you are polling are the voters directly, not just a subset that happen to go shopping on a Saturday, or be welcoming telephone polls at 6pm. You get them as they leave the booths. An entirely different thing to street or phone polls.
Of course, there are still going to be a few inaccuracies in exit polls, as some folk won't participate in it, or be willing to share who they voted for. Generally folk don't care.
If you still think polls are useful, then you are a fool.
F.

Channel 4:
So far, we've had a total of 11,496 calls and interactive votes. Of these, 75 % were in favour of a ban and 25 % were against.
Sounds overwhelming to me.

Notably in the article it mentions that
"The Irish Republic will introduce a ban in all public places early in the next year - and that includes the unthinkable - smoking bans in Dublin pubs. "
I must remember to put a trip on my travel agenda. The thought of enjoying a pint of "proper" Guiness without the fug certainly appeals......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

All pubs throughout the country, I think. Mind you, if the incidence of lawful obedience is anything like their attitudes to licensing hours (I got locked in 4 nights out of 4), there may be no actual change in many areas.
--
My mind's made up. Don't confuse me with the facts.

Mail john rather than nospam...
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 21:33:53 +0000, John Laird

Well, the Irish can be a bit pragmatic towards rules and regulations. Smoking on buss was banned some time back but smokers still migrate to the top deck and indulge whilst non smokers stay on the bottom deck. I'm not sure how it works on single deckers but I would imagine the ban is effective in that case
The general feeling on the smoking ban in pubs seems to be that if the general public are in favour of it it will happen. If they are apathetic it won't work.
As an ex smoker, ex drinker (sad git ), I personally would not be in favour of the ban, but really think it is inevitable, as smoking gets such bad press now-a days. I think it's disgraceful that smokers are forced to huddle in small groups outside office blocks in order to indulge their habit.
Intel have a manufacturing plant juts outside Dublin where smoking is banned ANYWHERE on the property, even in your own car !
Paul Mc Cann
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 16:51:49 +0000, Paul Mc Cann

Could that be because there are hazardous and flammable chemicals around? Certainly the semiconductor industry does use quite a lot of unpleasant stuff. At oil refineries and various chemical plants that I have visited you have to hand in all smoking materials, cell phones etc. at the gate.
It could also be because Intel is largely a California based corporation. Some years ago they got into big trouble after it was discovered that leakage and disposal from some of their plants had polluted the groundwater table in one area of Silicon Valley. This could be a reaction to that, although I rather suspect as a high profile company with deep pockets, they are simply seeking to protect themselves from any possibility of litigation.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Don't be. Since smoking is not just a habit of the post boy, such meetings are frequently better for career advancement than the masons...
--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

So Ch4 viewers are representative of the population, and those viewers who *choose* to take part representative of that audience?
Stick with heating. You talk enough crap there without expanding into other areas.
--
*Certain frogs can be frozen solid, then thawed, and survive *

What planet are you one, it isn't Earth, that's for sure !
And what is the adult population of the UK, 75% of / 11,496 / people who voted were in favour of a ban, only 25% of the / 11,496 / were against - what about the other 40m plus adults who didn't vote ?...

Clearly earth and I can read clearly too. What I can read is the word "polls" up there. Have a look it is still there. Scroll up. So, the results of a bang on, up to the minute poll was produced by me. Note the word "poll". A poll is not an election. And then you come out with this unintelligent garbage...

Don't you feel a right prat?

writes

Why, do you think he's holding your hand or something ?
--
geoff

who
against -

Maxie, would I let him hold my hand?

<snip>
Unlike you, no.

Imm wrote so I snipped most of it

Is it remotely possible that the other 40m smoked.

Or have a life and don't bother with polls on Minority TV channels?

<snip>
The 'Poll' was on Channel 4 news, not Sky News, hardly a Minority TV channel !...
Think about it :~)

channel
Nah, give up. Thinking is hard for these addicts.

So what is your excuse ?!...

who
against -

A very sad life at that. Slowly poisoning themselves...and others.