Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Page 2 of 13
stuart noble wrote:

During Cromwell's protectorate actually.
and it just drove the evil practice

Yes. Nothing like distracting IMM pleb type clones away from real issues and rela failure and corruption in government, and focussing their tiny minds on their neighbours.

...and more wisdom from our resident snotty uni type...

...and of course total and utter incoherent babble...

That far back eh? Seems parliament actually sat on Xmas Day. Still, I expect they were all pissed, or buggering each other in the toilets. No change there then.
stuart noble wrote:

Definitely not in Cromwells time. IMM is a direct descendant probably. No gaiety, somber clothes, no drinking dancing or playing of music. And utter hatred of anything smacking of privilege.
Cromwell - ofetn hailed as the father of parliamentary democracy, made the Taliban look like S club 7..
The country was overjoyed when he died, and welcomed charles II with open arms....

...now what does Coco the clown say...wait foir it.....

..he must have looked up my accessory..good isn't it?

He does have a point there. Aazing isn't it! I do not like privilege, only meritocracy, which would mean he would be working for MacDonald's cleaning up.
..he rambles on....

...which is total garbage of course!

IMM wrote:

Cognitive disssonance. Look it up.
http://www.britainexpress.com/History/Cromwell_and_Restoration.htm

Yes it's been proven. After a study was carried out a few years back, during or after the Roy Castle case I think, they found that non-smokers sitting in smokey clubs and pubs showed well over their normal limit of carbon monoxide, and that was only after a few hours. So to say it doesn't effect but only irritates others, is not quite true.
The new campaign on tele' which shows the kids breathing out smoke is really hard hitting, and that's why I've always stayed to just one room in the house that the kids are not allowed to come into. And I always sit here with the window open a touch.
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

children, particularly in cars.
BigWallop wrote:

They should do the same study on M25 drivers in the rush hour then. At least carbon monoxide is completely out of the system in a few hours time, whereas diesel particulates may be there for life. I never faiil to get a severe headche, runny nose and sore throat after navigating the M25, except curiously, at weekends when ther are no heavy lorries about.
Mind you, if I had my way, I'd ban wheat. Living next to wheat rusts does my
lungs in far worse than cigarettes do.

Nice touch. I usually go outside at friends houses with kids too.
Ofetn a good excuse to leave a boring argument about - er - things like health, and smoking :-)
Snowman wrote:

Oh, I agree. I have been a non smoker for some years as well. So I understand both sides.
I would rather have a situation where its REALLY smoking or REALLY non smoking - some hotels I have been to actually put you in diferent wings, which to me is just FINE.
Or if you wanted to run a restaurant with both, meet some standard of air cleanliness in teh smokeless zone.

Nothing can be 'proven' - especailly from a single case. Satistically, e.,g. kids in homes where one or more parents smoke can be shown to sufer as a result. Not all do, some do a lot. Some kids who don't and who never smoke will die of lung cancer at the age of 30 as well having ingested something else floatig by - a nice piece of radioactive plutonium for example.
It was a vegetarian who died of CJD for example. The exception proves nothing: Only the broad weight of staistical evidence that 'in general, smokers and those who live around them to an extent, die a bit younger, of various diseases, of which heart disease and lung cancer are the most markedly higher in occurrence'.

Mike P. wrote:

Got to agree, when I did a first aid course the instructor (who was also a volunteer at our local infirmary) said he had never seen a man beat up a woman for the price of a packet of cigarettes but he had seen lots of domestic violence caused by drink . Both horrible habits, drink when taken to excess and smoking at all. Have sympathy for those who are addicted but don't see why I should have to suffer the consequences.
As to the original question smell is unlikely to come THROUGH the walls maybe over or under them .The row of houses I live in have one vast area under them so any noxious odours could be traveling that way . It is nigh on impossible to make a house air tight, indeed some air flow through a house (not draughts) is required (air for combustion, to keep wooden joists from rotting e.t.c.).
--
Yours S.
addy not usable (not that you would try it)

Just my two-penneth but I'd say you can, or at least you can ask him to contribute to the cost of solving the problem. You share the responsibility for the poor quality of the party wall, and if he were playing loud music you would expect to complain to environmental health.
Or am I taking it a bit too far?
Rich wrote:

for the poor quality of the party wall, and if he were playing loud music you would expect to complain to environmental health.

Mike P. says:
Stepping into a minefield here, just fill in the voids and seal your side of the house.
Mike P. wrote:

Semi-detached houses were originally a good idea, making houses more affordable. Unfortunately, over the years, due to the greed and shoddy building practices, these dwellings have become nightmares to a lot of owners and must be the cause of enormous stress. Inadaquate sound insulation is usually the major problem. I've never heard of smell transmission, but I can't say I'm really surprised. I'm afraid the only answer to all these problems is a detached house. My neighbour is extemely quiet, but I still like the 16 foot gap between our houses.
Terry D.
Terry D wrote:

Make that 400 yards.
I went up into a friends terrced house roof once. NO DIVIDING WALL AT ALL. You could here em at it half the night. Spose they could hear us as well.
Flooors too. Unless the partition wall was built first (and sealed) quite likley a common underfloor void.

Would you also expect them to pay for dog smells - or cooking etc?
If you have a faulty house in this sort of way, it's up to you to do something about it - not your neighbour. Anything else would be opening up a can of worms.
--
*I get enough exercise just pushing my luck.

Whilst I'm no supporter of smoking, the taxes they pay are far in excess of any cost to the state in health care - especially when you consider their shorter life, so less old age care.
--
*El nino made me do it

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:54:13 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman

That statement is open to argument. This isn't the place to have that discussion, but if you add up all of the costs involved I have my doubts that is the case. There are a lot of "hidden" costs in dealing with smokers which don't make the news headlines.
PoP

Bit of a Bill Hicks quote: "non-smokers die everyday!!"
Just because you don't smoke, you aren't going to live for ever. You are going to die and probably require similarly expensive healthcare in the meantime. That whole anti-smoking argument is nonsense, believed only by people who _want_ to believe it...i.e. non-smokers.
The amount of money paid in tax on cigarettes, and the pension savings of the early-checkout far more than compensate for the health care and other costs. If that wasn't the case, they'd ban or further restrict it.
Oh yeah, passive smoking. It's a bit like the whole breast cancer thing...sure it can kill, but there are far more deadly and more common dangers out there. As other posters mentioned, a walk through a busy town at rush hour is far worse than living with a smoker. Big industry puts far more harmful chemicals in the air than smokers do.
F./

All true. And all irrelevant. You're welcome to smoke in my presence, just as long as I am welcome to urinate and vomit drunkenly on you.