Cigarette smoke perculates through the walls from next door. Ugh. How can I seal it?

Page 1 of 13
Hi.
New to this group, but hope I'll see you often.
I have an unusual problem. I live in a 1960's Wimpy built terraced house and my next door neighboour smokes non stop. In the small bedroom and the hallway, which share the wall with next door, the stink of stale fag smoke is terrible.
I can't ask him to stop smoking in his own home, but as I'm coming up to decorating time (for the first time in this house) I want to put something on the walls to try to seal out the perculation. My first thoughts are a couple of coats of a diluted sealant, to soak it into the plaster. But which one would be best? Or any other ideas? Anyone had this problem before?
Thanks in advance.
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:34:18 +0000, Mike Barnard

Hopefully one day the tax and other measures against this filthy and disgusting habit will price it out of the market. Why people believe that they can smoke and inflict this sh*t on everybody elsetogether with their healthcare burden I have no idea However, in the meantime there should be some measures you can take.
I suspect that there are flows of air between the houses through small gaps in the walls. Are the partition walls some form of block or studded or ?? It would seem to me that the air pollution is more likely to be coming through gaps in the walls (perhaps below the floors) rather than through the plaster(board). Therefore I would focus on sealing those with silicone or other sealant first. Diluted PVA should certainly be effective at sealing the plaster, but I doubt if that is the source of the problem. Perhaps you could try ventilating your house thoroughly, then close it up and sniff around carefully near the walls and floor for where the fumes are coming from.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

I Add:
Along with alcohol as this must cause more misery, damage, disturbance, noise pollution, family/marriage break ups, injury & deaths than smoking!.
Mike P.

I am more than happy for people (I don't know) to smoke in their own privacy - it pays tax that I would otherwise have to pay. If nobody smoked, the taxman would want more from me.
But on the other hand, I absolutely loathe the habit, so am keen to see it banned from all public places.
Does that make me a hypocrite?

Not really, because the improvement in health of the population through not smoking would reduce healthcare and other costs relating to it; so theoretically National Insurance would be reduced. In practice, the saving would be squandered, so there would probably not be a tax reduction.

.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall wrote:

Ah, but you forget all those pensions now drawn by an ageing population that would otherwise have died ten years earlier...where is Shipman when you need him :-(

Snowman wrote:

Not at all, as a smoker, I think thats a reasonable compromise. Except that I would not 'ban it from all public places' but 'restrict it to the open air, and such places as are specifically designated'. So that one can have the choice, as to whether one wishes to go to a smoking, or 'non-smoking' pub/restaurant etc.

smoked,
it
Perhaps I should have qualified my comment, in my mind I really meant, ban it from all *inside* public places. Certainly some of the smoking and non-smoking areas in restaurant are a joke - you can end up sitting at a "non-smoking" table which is right next to a "smoking" table. Often even if it doesn't appear to be smokey, when you go home your clothes smell awful.
This I think is the sort of situation where breathing other peoples' smoke constantly, can kill the non-smoker. (Isn't that what happened to Roy Castle, or was it not proven?)

I think restaurants will all ban smoking in the next few years. They must be worried about liability towards their non-smoking staff. Health and safety at work. Give it five years and you probably couldn't get insurance for a restaurant without a non-smoking policy.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote:

I don't think so. It would hit trade too much.

I'm surprised that the smoke levels in many pubs don't already contravene the health as safety at work legislation.
If someone was working on an industrial process that produced so much smoke then the employer would be forced to provide adequate ventilation or breathing/filter apparatus and keep the general public and other workers away from the process area.
--
Alan
We all have to put up with things we find offensive, most of which aren't as clearly defined as smoking. I personally would like Christmas banned, but I think that was tried in the 1920s, and it just drove the evil practice underground. Witch hunts are always a bad sign in a society, especially when there's a deliberate lowering of standards in other areas.

as
Christmas does not impair people's health, smoking does.

Sounds like you've not ever had a decent Xmas, then.
--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

IMM wrote:

No, it kills them instead. Look at road traffic accident statistics around christmas, look at domestic violence staistics, and just attend the average mother in law infested christmas.

...and he says....

We should all be dead then, using this logic.

IMM wrote:

We don't need logic to see the moral case for that statement in *your* case.
:-)

..he attempts some reasoning here...have a look...

Well smoking is a massive killer that is for sure.

IMM wrote:
So, if you don't smoke, you live ten years longer and drain the social security system even more.
Idiot. Smokers not only contribute HUGE amounts of taxes, they also have the decency to die earlier and save the pension schemes for others.
We should be encouraged as setting the best of examples.
Wheraras you will be whingeing well into your 90''s still with some stupid chip on your shoulder, burdening all who come into contact with you with the depressing content of your spleen, and wasting taxpayers money supporting a miserable invdividual whose sole pleasure is making others as miserable as himself, and downing the odd pint of disgusting beverage alone in a corner of some drab (*but smokeless) bar.
I think you should be banned, or hunted down with hounds. Your miserable life might just provaide a halfway decent meal for 2.2 beagles provided they are really hungry and have lost their sense of smell :-)
Never mind. With luck AIDS will get you first. :-)

..our resdient know_all _the _answers says....

.....amusing I know. he sails to see that smokers needlessly clutter the NHS, depriving proper people of service.
....he goes on...
< snip babble >
I spared you the torture.