And now I've seen it all ...

I think that is only one instruction on the door. They have to master that one before they can view the other side in order to read the second one... :-)

Is that why pater nosters could be found at quite a number of academic establishments? (Are they still in use these days?)

Reply to
polygonum

Round here it's only Morrisons.

One advantage is that trolleys taken back to the trolley parks in the Morrisons car park get left very neatly compared to e.g. Tesco, where it only takes 3 or 4 randomly dumped trolleys to fill it up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That would be because they haven't the slightest idea what is the correct adjustment

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I was rather annoyed.

This was a shelf-stacker so I doubt they could do this. I wasn't prepared to queue up at a checkout in case and there was no-one on the customer disservice counter.

Anyway, they have now lost my business forever (or at least until all the other supermarkets annoy me equally).

Reply to
Mark

led Ohms law ;-)

I was taking the piss as I dont; understand this sudden inrush of amps as i= t's quite predictable, but it does depend on the type of bulb or rather the= filiment.=20 perhaps the 'law' what goes up must come down with regards to beam lighting= but I don;t think so. Other than the speed of light 'law' I'm not sure wh= at law can be broken ;-P

Reply to
whisky-dave

Your argument is complete false.

The DVLA are specifically allowed to sell the details of the keeper for this use so there is no DPA misuse at all here.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The landowner and the occupier of the land, if different.

Footpaths and bridleways are highways and, as such, governed by any legislation that covers highways, whatever the type of traffic, be it horse, pedestrian or invalid carriage (the legal term for a mobility scooters). Invalid carriages are allowed to use a highway provided that they comply with The Use of Invalid Carriages on Highways Regulations

1988, which includes the provision that Class 3 carriages must use their lower speed of 4mph while in pedestrian areas.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

yes I do actually in fact I've plotted such results for an experiment we were going to run in the lab years ago, although this was for a standard 'house' light bulb rather than a halogen of car headlamp bulb. So for me it's not a sudden inrush of amps as I'd fully expect it.

I'm not sure if flashing them is the cause of their failure I know car indictors don;t fail because of flashing but then again they are underrated as their prime job isn't illumination. I believ a friedn problem with his halogens in the kitchen is due to vibration from upstairs as he seems to be replacing bulbs too often.

I'd say it causes a surge rather than generates it. But each to his own.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Words like "sudden rush" and "surge" are meaningless in this context, except to the extent that they apply to any circuit when you apply volts. Current will flow according to the resistance at any given instant, that's all.

If I apply 240V to a one meg resistor, there will be "a sudden rush" of

0.24mA or so, to match the voltage I applied.
Reply to
Tim Streater

They are apparently more common in pikey areas. A quid for a trolley is cheap though, new they are nearer a hundred.

Reply to
The Other Mike

The correct answer is of course a pair of bolt croppers

Reply to
The Other Mike

No, your retina has been burnt away by a Panzerwagen driven by a tosser in a suit.

Reply to
The Other Mike

with what did you measure the current? an analogue meter wouldn't register fast enough - nor would many digital ones. You'd need a "peak hold" meter.

Reply to
charles

There's a surprise in store for them, then!

Next year, defective warning lights become an MOT fail!

Reply to
Terry Casey

How about a storage scope? Does anyone make stuff like that these days?

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought it had already come in. Tell the Loo-tennants drinker.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Perhaps not what you think of as a "storage scope" but it's getting more difficult to buy a new 'scope that doesn't have storage.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Apply Potential differnce

Well not just resitsance but inductance too, but I don't think that occurs in car headlamps or any bulb to any degree.

Yep in accordence with ohms laws that's way I said it in the first place in that who is breaking ohms law ?

you see I couldn't work out what part of ohms law was being broken by a "surge of amps".

But is it sudden ?, I think not, and what do you mean by match the voltage. Not sure if your 240V is AC or DC though as that could change things.

Every time anything is conencted to a voltage that is capable of conducing current will flow, whether or not you se that as a sudden rush I guess is up to the observer.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Thass why I think it's a silly phrase to use in this context. They way it's been written about so far would imply to me that the user thinks that you connect up the volts, and the amps "rush in" until they notice the resistance and then decide to be sensible and slow down to the proper value.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Standard everywhere in Italy (?1)

Reply to