And now I've seen it all ...

Because the fining company's MO is to bank the money that comes in from the dumb and forget about the rest.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I thought it was all warning lights "as fitted".

So whilst some are optional, if they are fitted they have to work

Reply to
tim.....

Whether they get a badge will depend on their doctor in many cases, and on the council in most. Generally, being able to only walk a few yards without stopping for a rest will get you a badge.

Possibly, he would need to check with the local council and his doctor.

One council's rules are here:-

others are similar.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yup. Standard eating knife. I even asked him and he laughed. Maybe the ones here are worn - the trolleys are quite old.

Reply to
usenet2012

In message , tim..... writes

Our Tesco locks the wheels as you go up/down their travelators. Damned annoying when in a hurry though the alternative is probably too amusing a prospect to be allowed.

Reply to
usenet2012

Correct.

My partner has plenty of reason to have one but, somehow, cannot get herself to ask her doctor. I sympathise with that - it feels like a final admission that she will never get better. She does not, and possibly could not, use a wheelchair.

Reply to
polygonum

Not an uncommon problem. People don't want to admit to themselves that they are now badly enough disabled to need help.

Reply to
John Williamson

But not all trailer connectors, just the 'new' 13 pin ones

Reply to
The Other Mike

Windscreen washer bottle low level light.

No self test facility, the only way to prove it is to turn the washers on for 30 mins or unbolt the reservoir and tip the contents out.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Some are activated by a sort of 'cattle grid' type mat. The wheels have a metal disk beside the tyre wich drops into the slots in the mat and causes the wheel to brake. More effective on a full trolly which is harder to lift. Another type has a large plasic lump beside the wheel, not sure how that works but may be activated magnetically

Reply to
djc

I live in an area that has mixed rural and urban roads and I don't see people using main beams a great deal, even when they should, much less leaving them on to the inconvenience of oncoming traffic.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I've noticed that.

They seem to prefer driving slowly on dip. Makes it difficult to overtake politely as you can't see any more road than they can.

While we are being critical, there is the dirty windscreen/poor eyesight brigade who slow down every time a vehicle approaches.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message , The Other Mike writes

Are you sure?

I was warned during the last MOT and the tester had a whinge about having to buy the test kit.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

7-pin ones are not required to work, but they are required to be undamaged and firmly attached.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

No. The list of newly testable items is as follows:

- Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps

- Main beam ?tell-tale?

- Battery (including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles)

- Electrical wiring and connectors

- Trailer electrical socket security and damage

- Operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets using an approved trailer socket tester

- Operation of the steering lock (where fitted) including that malfunction warning is not displayed for an electronic steering lock

- Electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault

- Electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp

- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and malfunction warning

- Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative

- Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)

- SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters and SRS malfunction warning lamp

- Engine mountings

- Speedometer

- Indirect vision devices (where they replace obligatory mirrors)

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Round here, you really have to slow down at night if there is an oncoming car - reason, no pavements on many of the roads, so if you do see a pedestrian in your path, you cannot swerve out, so you really have to be prepared to stop on a penny.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Only if it is cost productive.

One of the fired appentices is claiming on Facebook that he his now earning £12 an hour stacking shelves at Lidl.

Reply to
ARW

So are you suggesting "colostrsomy bag about to explode" bays should be next to a "mad person" on board parking bay?

Reply to
ARW

Unlikely. Shelf stackers in Waitrose only earn just above minimum wage.

Reply to
Mark

I'd agree with that too on my visits to unlighted roads. Although you have to go quite far from here given pretty well all main roads and motorways have lighting near London.

What I do notice is that 4X4 and vans with high mounted headlights seem to cause more dazzle when you get close to them than cars with a more normal height. Especially when parked on the 'wrong' side of the road which is so common round here - if I have to do that I switch off the headlights immediately.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)