Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Half of France's nuclear reactors out of commission for repair and maintenance
news at a time when electricity supplies throughout Europe are under increased pressure due to energy shortages as we emerge from Covid and as a result of the Ukraine war and sanctions on Russia.
49
49

Bathroom/kitchen taps & black mould
No matter what I do, I notice that after a few days (especially in the rarely used cloakroom) the cold taps build up a black gunge that nothing seems to prevent or dissolve. I'm guessing it's a mould...
5
5

IKEA-style cam locks
I am designing a large floor-mounted cabinet. Having recently assembled two large IKEA wardrobes using their cam lock system. It was far more successful than I thought it might turn out that I plan to...
7
7

Amazon Csrd Servuces scam
I've just received a phone call alleging to be from Amazon Card Services. It said they were about to deduct £79 fom my account for services and if I wished to cancel this to press button 1 now. I...
12
12

Another potential scam
We frequently get catalogues from one of those places that sells garden equipment, home improvement stuff, etc. It is possible that I bought something from them some years ago, maybe one of those...
16
16

OT recycling
Bob Wellings spends the day with a group of London dustmen. What are the daily challenges they face? How do the public treat their rubbish? Is the profession changing? Can you make good money from...
1
1

Recommendations to replace RING security camera
I know the Ring cameras are popular, but I've found them a bit lacking in performance. Laggy and the app is not great. They require an annual subscription which is about to go up from 25 quid a year...
3
3

SOT: Outlook transfer problem
I now have a second SSD (1TB). Thanks to all who advised at the time. I would like to move the Outlook pst file to the new drive (as it is much bigger). There seems to be a lot of confusion with...
1
1

New Gas Boiler
Sorry if I seem always to be asking for advice on prices but here I go again. British Gas are offering to fit a new boiler at the moment for about £2,100 with a choice of: Vaillant ecoFIT pure 415 -...
112
112

Drilling granite wall
Hi I want to make a 10mm or so diameter hole in 400mm thick granite wall for a cable, it's a Cornish house. Coming from a brick house, I don't have a clue; this stuff is *hard*. What's the best way?
112
112

Potential scam, or a wrong number?
My mobile rang this morning and it showed on the screen the call came from Rotherham city centre - it's rare for the source of the call to show up so precisely. When I answered it and female computer...
40
40

Energy companies going bust, how quickly to recover credit?
I tried posting to already and no answers yet, so... Assuming an energy company become insolvent and there customers are picked up by another company, how long can the credit you had in the company be...
8
8

Thinking of Summer Aircon?
Great news, though I may be late to the champagne party? It is possible to install domestic air conditioning without paying VAT. Upgrade your home, live the dream ... Who thought not distinguishing...
32
32

Permanent alternative to F plug
I had sat cables coming into the room and into the TV but having moved the TV they need extending and are exposed. There's new skirting going in so I could hide everything behind that but i'm not sure...
17
17

[OT] Local Electricity Bill
Anyone see any snags here? Full story at: <>"The Local Electricity Bill, if made law, would give electricity generators the right to become local suppliers – i.e. sell their energy directly to local...
21
21