OT: Half of France's nuclear reactors out of commission for repair and maintenance

Bad news at a time when electricity supplies throughout Europe are under increased pressure due to energy shortages as we emerge from Covid and as a result of the Ukraine war and sanctions on Russia.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Indeed. Perhaps nuclear may not be the best option for future electricity generation.

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Reply to
R Souls

Suggest a better one.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Do you remember when we went from big mainframe computers to everyone having a PC on their desk? Should we be heading towards micro-reactors?

Reply to
GB

Yes, shades of Asimov's Foundation series, we need walnut sized generators.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

like in my Mustang

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Bring back the BT trimphone :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Its OK, we are sending them lots of British electrons.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IF regulations would allow it the thought of a micro reactor in a nice cast iron Nuclear Aga bumbling away generating all my heating needs for

60 years is rather good.

I suppose a battery back and a small steam engine bolted on the side would handle electricity via an inverter...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well for domestic use, AGA sized ones anyway... I think there is a lower limit on getting the chain reactions to work - but of course you don't NEED a chain reaction for fairly 'hot' decay products.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think that, for domestic use, it would be really good if the reactors didn't contain a critical mass.

Reply to
GB

A thermopile would be simpler, if they have the capacity.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Critical mass etc

Californium-252 only requires a sphere of 6.9 cm diameter to go critical, so getting close to a walnut sized generator. All you need is lots of Californium-252...

James Lovelock (he of Gaia fame) would be happy to have a concrete box of nuclear waste at the bottom of his garden to provide all his domestic heating requirements (The Revenge of Gaia, p.92)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I would prefer the steam engine.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

More fun, certainly.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Can't see too many in flood prone areas or high water table areas being happy with that.

Reply to
4587Joey

It wouldn't be a concreete box, actually, It would be a large steel container of vitrified waste.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nah, a Stirling engine, much simpler!

Reply to
Fredxx

Still can't see it being viable in that situation with what is needed to get the heat from it into the house.

Reply to
4587Joey

Put it in a shed and build a heat pump around it. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater