Repair of a vinyl pool

We have a vinyl inflatable pool. Similar in appearance to a pool pictured here:

A 5 year old derelict friend of my 6 year old son kid threw a sparkler firework in it when it was empty. He burned a hole in the bottom about

1x1.5 inches (the hole is a curvy "line" burned through, not a round hole).

I would like to know if the hole can be realistically repaired, to last at least through the end of the summer. I am aware of existence of vinyl repair kits, but am not sure how well they work.

thanks

Ignoramus5268

Force the little turd-ball to stand with his foot over the hole, to seal it, while your kids swim. Then, the next day, use his daddy's garden hose (and his water) to refill the pool. Repeat as needed.

Reply to
Dan C

He was mostly just being stupid, not malicious. I suspect that he did not realize that the pool would burn through.

Ignoramus5268

Yes, you can patch the hole and it will last for quite some time.

The pool company has patch material that pretty much matches the material they use on the bottom. Cut the patch in a circle and use a special glue. Most glues that are any good will allow you to repair the hole/cut wet or dry.

The glue I just used was a generic glue that has "Vinyl Pool Repair Adhesive - works underwater" on the tube.

After you get the patch cut and the surface cleaned. Quickly apply the glue to the patch, then cover the hole or cut. You want to make sure you hold it in place for a short time to make sure the edge stays down on the surface. The patches like to curve up after you install them to the pools surface.

I have patched these exact pools several times. I just got done fixing the tube at the top. It had a nice 1 1/2" cut from my cat. She felt she had to find out what that big blue round thing was in the yard!!!!

I will tell you how I fixed this one, as it was impossible to hold the patch over the complete area (by hand) till the glue started to set (this has to do with the edges curling up).

What I did was to get a clamp (I used a 6" Quick-Grip bar clamp by Vise Grip #00506) Then get a couple items that are the same size (or a little bigger) than the hole/cut (I used a couple pieces of wood). Than a piece of wax paper. Clean the area, apply glue to patch, cover hole/cut, then lay the wax paper over the patch, then apply the 'hard' backing to each side and clamp the whole thing with the clamp. Let this set for a few hours (better if it's left overnight). Then after the glue is set you can remove the clamp and backing pieces (wood) and the wax paper can be gently pulled from the top of the patch. Just be careful when you pull it off as it doesn't pull the patch with it.

Since your hole is on the bottom of the pool, I would recommend the you use a couple concrete blocks to hold your patch. This will provide enough pressure to hold the patch in place and let you get to both sides with a flat object (to sandwich everything inbetween).

It's also better to use "too much glue" as apposed to "too little glue".

Hope this helps and NO I still have the cat! :-)

Good Luck!

Reply to
<kjpro

phone ahead then drive to the nearest pool store, they have everything you need, including a bigger pool. this is your fault anyway since you forgot to fill the pool for summer! :) remember that kids learn right from wrong usually by around age 6, so no prison time is needed on this case! :) for a great answer for mystery leaks see:

buffalobill

They work well on waterbeds.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I used a vinyl repair kit once and it worked for a while. Your kit might be better.

8 years my little derelict tied a canoe up so the waves ran it against the dock, which wore a hole in it. I put duct tape on it which lasted a year. Then I glued the tape down with Eastman 5200 (I think that is the number, it is a black caulking glue) and it is a good as new after 7 years. I love that E5200.

I keep meaning to do a fiberglass repair, but you know how that goes.

Reply to
Wade Lippman