Subject Author Posted Replies

re-building child's play centre
Conduit is usually seamed which is bad news for outside use I imagine. Brian
20
20

Room thermostat recommendation
Hi all, I've decided it's time to fit a room thermostat to my central heating for a bit of improved control, but I've no idea which type is compatible with my boiler, which to give it its full title...
3
3

'Jacking up' oak framed bunk - sourcing materials
Morning all, I'm looking to turn my daughter's bed (one part of a separated bunk) into a high sleeper. The frame is painted hardwood - Oak I think - with the upri ghts finished size of 55 x 55....
4
4

6kg fire extinguishers @ Aldi
On Sun Aldi are doing 6kg fire extinguishers for £19.99 NT
21
21

Computer motherboard faulty?
I ebayed a mother board complete with RAM and CPU. The buyer has raised a case saying that the package arrived squashed and the heat sink was 'loose'. He's saying that after he reseated the CPU,...
13
13

Old soil pipes, WC and more bleedin' awkwardness.
OK, new a new WC (not an existing one in there) will be installed in the interminable bathroom refit. There is a separate WC on the other side of the wall from the planned location. Plastic Soil stack...
2
2

3D pictures for blind people
I can't find where I mentioned this before, but you all ignored my comment. Now someone has invented my idea: A picture can be shown as a 3D object, sort of like Braille.
4
4

Small sound-to-LED colour modulator?
I need to light-up a small space (200x100x200 all mm) in a way that changes colour with pitch of music - it needs to be battery powered. I could probably mess-around with an electret mike element,...
1
1

MR16 Halogen to LED
I'm thinking about swapping our MR16 halogens for MR16 LEDs but am not sure if the transformers might need changing. The current downlighters, bought around five years ago from Screwfix, have a...
16
16

Saddo Forger at worrk
Please do not assume that any post made by Judith has been made by me. There is a real saddo at work in many groups who is forging my email address from an Astraweb account. Just ignore him.
36
36

Return to coal ?
How expensive would gas and electric have to be to drive a revival in UK coal mining ? I believe increases in tin prices have made a couple of Cornish mines viable again. Could we ever see the same...
17
17

Looking for very long ladder (or similar)
Rather odd task. I need to temporarily span a distance of 32ft (approx. 9.75m). Temporarily being about 6 months! Whatever I use has to be fairly lightweight, single span and minimal sag. It can only...
28
28

Cooker Hood Lights Failing
Hi all I have a new (just over year old) Bosch cooker hood with 2 G4 12v 20w halogen lights - very useful. Trouble is they keep blowing. Must have fitted 6 replacements since the unit was fitted. I am...
16
16

Building Control and Insulation
Hi all OK so I've just been copied into an email saying kitchen electrics I've done are OK (a whole other story) and inviting the "building side" of building control to arrange a final inspection. I...
6
6

Pre-sensitised PCBs
Needed some PCB material with the photo resist coating - the sort you use for making your own. I ran out a couple of months ago - and that 'stock' was several years old, just stored indoors in a...
7
7