re-building child's play centre

Having acquired a second hand timber play centre I am faced with a couple of queries.

The glass fibre slide has suffered from exposure such that the coloured gel coat can be easily rubbed off. Is it possible to renew the surface? How?

Also many of the wooden ladder rungs have rotted. Rather than replace with what appears to be 25mm broom handle, I wonder if there is galvanised steel tube available with the same o/d? My first thought was 20mm electrical conduit but I can't remember if this is i/d or o/d:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Conduit is usually seamed which is bad news for outside use I imagine. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Yes. The choice would be galvanised.

The uprights are sound but already bored to take the rungs.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

use broom handle that you've cut and dipped in preservative?

or find some hardwood dowel?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I would think about replacing the entire slide if it has deteriorated that much. If you think it is still strong enough, then try a marine grade paint for GRP hulls. I would avoid the non-slip ones though :-)

3/4" bore galvanised steel water pipe is 27mm OD.

OD. You would need 25mm conduit, but water pipe has a thicker wall and is seamless.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for that. I'll check more carefully but the glass fibre matrix looked fine. The concern is the granddaughters having green stained knickers:-)

Presumably start with a thorough sanding and follow the instructions on the tin.

25mm galvanised conduit has got to be strong enough for a 375mm span and kids less than 6 years old?
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Probably, but I would find it easier to lay hold of water pipe.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Shurely anything galvanised will rust where it's been cut?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

No. The zinc will corrode first, protecting the steel. That's why hot dipped stuff lasts far longer as there is more zinc than on the plated stuff. Buildings and ships can have huge ingots of zinc fitted to protect them.

Reply to
dennis

In message , Jim K writes

I would expect some superficial rust where bare metal is exposed. However, this will be out of sight as the ends are rebated into the timber uprights.

Dennis has pointed to *galvanic* protection where Zinc is more active electrically than Iron and hence corrodes first.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I suspect that, for the load and the span involved, heavy wall 25mm uPVC conduit might do the job.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Does upvc conduit last outside? Uv etc?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The black PVC conduit used in my garden shows no signs of degradation after 20 years. I presume the six year old will have lost interest in the slide by then.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

They are currently one and a bit and two and a bit so I am in front of the curve:-)

25mm galvanised conduit turns out to be much cheaper than hardwood dowel. I could turn some farm Oak but life is getting shorter!
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Presuambly *no-one* has been using it as a ladder though?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I wonder if heat shrink sleeve would be affordable in 25mm+ size?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Are you allowed to use chromium, copper and arsenic treatment on play centres?

Reply to
Matty F

Hmmm... Any timber replacements will be Oak as I have plenty. The original appears to be some form of tropical hardwood. Some rot has occurred where the uprights have been in contact with damp soil.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If they are still young/daft enough to chew it they aren't old enough to play on it?

What stops hardwoods rotting? Is that ok to suck on? If so why?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Easily. Not having the proper tools, I bent some 20mm conduit in a manual, 22mm pipe bender - it was f***ing difficult.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW