re-building child's play centre

Having acquired a second hand timber play centre I am faced with a couple of queries.
The glass fibre slide has suffered from exposure such that the coloured gel coat can be easily rubbed off. Is it possible to renew the surface? How?
Also many of the wooden ladder rungs have rotted. Rather than replace with what appears to be 25mm broom handle, I wonder if there is galvanised steel tube available with the same o/d? My first thought was 20mm electrical conduit but I can't remember if this is i/d or o/d:-(
--
Tim Lamb

Conduit is usually seamed which is bad news for outside use I imagine. Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Yes. The choice would be galvanised.
The uprights are sound but already bored to take the rungs.
--
Tim Lamb

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:30:59 PM UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

use broom handle that you've cut and dipped in preservative?
or find some hardwood dowel?
Jim K
On Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:50:09 PM UTC+13, Jim K wrote:

Are you allowed to use chromium, copper and arsenic treatment on play centres?

Hmmm... Any timber replacements will be Oak as I have plenty. The original appears to be some form of tropical hardwood. Some rot has occurred where the uprights have been in contact with damp soil.
--
Tim Lamb

If they are still young/daft enough to chew it they aren't old enough to play on it?
What stops hardwoods rotting? Is that ok to suck on? If so why?
Jim K
On 16/11/2013 21:30, Tim Lamb wrote:

I would think about replacing the entire slide if it has deteriorated that much. If you think it is still strong enough, then try a marine grade paint for GRP hulls. I would avoid the non-slip ones though :-)

3/4" bore galvanised steel water pipe is 27mm OD.

OD. You would need 25mm conduit, but water pipe has a thicker wall and is seamless.
Colin Bignell

Thanks for that. I'll check more carefully but the glass fibre matrix looked fine. The concern is the granddaughters having green stained knickers:-)
Presumably start with a thorough sanding and follow the instructions on the tin.

25mm galvanised conduit has got to be strong enough for a 375mm span and kids less than 6 years old?
--
Tim Lamb

On 17/11/2013 16:57, Tim Lamb wrote:

Probably, but I would find it easier to lay hold of water pipe.
Colin Bignell
Shurely anything galvanised will rust where it's been cut?
Jim K
On 18/11/2013 08:02, Jim K wrote:

No. The zinc will corrode first, protecting the steel. That's why hot dipped stuff lasts far longer as there is more zinc than on the plated stuff. Buildings and ships can have huge ingots of zinc fitted to protect them.

I would expect some superficial rust where bare metal is exposed. However, this will be out of sight as the ends are rebated into the timber uprights.
Dennis has pointed to *galvanic* protection where Zinc is more active electrically than Iron and hence corrodes first.
--
Tim Lamb

On 18/11/2013 08:45, Tim Lamb wrote:

I suspect that, for the load and the span involved, heavy wall 25mm uPVC conduit might do the job.
Colin Bignell
Does upvc conduit last outside? Uv etc?
Jim K
On 18/11/2013 13:02, Jim K wrote:

The black PVC conduit used in my garden shows no signs of degradation after 20 years. I presume the six year old will have lost interest in the slide by then.
Colin Bignell

They are currently one and a bit and two and a bit so I am in front of the curve:-)
25mm galvanised conduit turns out to be much cheaper than hardwood dowel. I could turn some farm Oak but life is getting shorter!
--
Tim Lamb

On Monday, November 18, 2013 3:34:20 PM UTC, Nightjar wrote:

Presuambly *no-one* has been using it as a ladder though?
Jim K

I wonder if heat shrink sleeve would be affordable in 25mm+ size?
--
Tim Lamb

On 18/11/2013 08:02, Jim K wrote:

The galvanic protection still works when not continuous.
Where the gap is going to be too large and you want to be sure, Galvafroid is your friend.
SteveW