Old soil pipes, WC and more bleedin' awkwardness.

OK, new a new WC (not an existing one in there) will be installed in the interminable bathroom refit. There is a separate WC on the other side of the wall from the planned location. Plastic Soil stack outside between the two.

Been umming and ahhing, about it, but looking at the soil stack more closely I realise that seems not to be 110mm - it's smaller, not measure it yet but maybe 3 1/2 inches ? . Going by the history of the house, the copper waste pipes from the bathroom etc. the stack probably dates to the original bathroom installation in the late '60's ?

Anyway, the obvious thing was to swap the current single branch for a double, but if this is some old defunct size that sound like it could become a palaver of replacing chunks of the soil stack. What say the sages of uk.d-i-y?

I have an alternative plan to go through the wall (easy - lath & plaster) and connect it into the pipe behind the other WC pan. I need to replace the cistern anyway, so can move that forward if neccessary.

Thanks

Reply to
chris French

There was some smaller stuff about in the sixties. It could be 3" cast iron (Pipe is measured by the bore size.)

Could also be a 4"vertcal pipe with a 3" branch. I took it all out in a house I had and replaced it with 110mm plastic.

You might find the WC outlet on the existing toilet is only 3" as well so that would have to be replaced too. The connectiont o the WC will likely be lead pipe with putty and paint joints.

Reply to
harryagain

In message , harryagain writes

No everything is plastic.

Anyway,should believe my eyes obviously. It still looks smaller,but a measure of the circumference of the pipes with a bit of string has them within a couple mm of each other. Though solvent weld I think.

Reply to
chris French