WC removal and refit

I am about to relay a bathroom floor after having a new suite fitted. I will be using Cushionflor over exterior ply.

I was able to slide the ply under the WC - (I had to cut to allow for the bracket of the floor) however, I will not be able to slide the cushionflor under the WC so I intend removing it to do the task. This will give a neater job and give me more room to work.

Question: When re-fitting, what is the best way of dealing with the screws that anchor the cistern to the wall. I am concerned that having the WC screwed to the floor via its bracket - and the cistern attached to the WC by its wing nuts (Lecico make) - then the cistern screwed to the wall will create a potential for something breaking if the wooden floor moves a little. I was thinking of not screwing the cistern back to the wall and injecting some Foam Fill behind it to give some support.

Any views?

Reply to
John

If you fix the cistern to the wall using the special plastic fittings that you can get in B&Q etc. then you won't have a problem. The cistern will be free enough to move.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The last cistern I fitted (close coupled type) had no fixing holes at all. The result was a bit wobbly. In the end I siliconed the cistern to the wall. This firmed up the whole assembly no end, but still allowed a little movement of the cistern should it be required. Nothing has broken so far!

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks - I ended up doing the job before I could read your replies.

I used tap washers each side of the cistern wall and then injected some silicone down the gap as well. nothing tightened too much I hope. The WC is attached to the floor using two bolts that screw into the side of a flattened screw that has a suitable hole tapped through the side of it.

I am quite pleased with the neatness of the job. I have applied a thin bead of silicone around where the WC meets the floor.

Reply to
John

I've done this on around half a dozen installations, and I think it's by far the best way to go. The most common cause of cistern-bowl leaks is having a fixed cistern and a toilet bowl which moves too much. Silicone allows for enough movement while eliminating wobble.

Reply to
Grunff

Yup. Along with CAR BODY FILLER, silicone and expanding foam are three of DIYs great inventions.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Go write a bloody wiki entry for it, get it out of your system! ;-)

(I would have to agree on silicone mind!)

Reply to
John Rumm

And gaffer tape.

Cue Pythonesque " ... *four* of DIYs great inventions ... "

Reply to
Huge

The cushions.......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Building adhesives like Pink Grip etc. for number 5... even fixed shoes with it.

:-)

Steve.

Reply to
Steve