WC not screwed to floor

Hi,

I recently had a batroom installed, and I notice that the WC is not screwed to the floor. I have a concrete floor, but I thought that holes can be drilled for rawl plugs.

Is it acceptable to not screw the WC into the floor?

Thanks in advance.

Will.

Reply to
William Gould

If the WC has been bedded onto sealant, or even a sand / cement mortar mixture, then no, it isn't really necessary to screw it to the floor. This is even more so if the Closet system is fixed to a wall by the cistern in a close-coupled design. Is the WC sturdy enough not to wobble when in use?

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks BigWallop,

It's not bedded into sealant or sand/cement or anything else - it's just free standing. It is of a close coupled design, and is attached to the cistern with a couple of bolts. It doesn't seem to move when sitting on it, but I'm worried that it will move over time and crack as it's just free standing. I have moved it ever so slightly by hand to check that it does actually move.... The actual 'foot' has quite a large area though... more than usual.

What do you think?

Will.

Reply to
William Gould

I really think it should be fixed to the floor. If the supply to the cistern has a isolator valve you could turn off the water and take it apart then either "pug" it to the floor with a wetish sand cement mix or put those screws into the floor with some plugs.

Better do it when you want to rather than have the beast move on you ....or worse still crack.

Good luck

Barry

Reply to
bs

If it's on a sand/cement bed, this may not be visible as it will go into the recess in the bottom of the pan, but this is a very common method for plumbers to fit WC's to concrete floors (even though just about every WC comes with instructions saying this must not be done, as you may be unable to remove the pan without smashing it;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It should be screwed to the floor. Does it not have holes for this purpose? In fact the last 3 bogs I fitted came with nice stainless steel double ended screw-bolts for the job.

Reply to
O.B.

It is really up to your own preference Will, but this type of WC design is actually meant for free standing with very little fixing, so it shouldn't move under normal use. It would probably take quite a bit of pushing to get it to move even a little bit. So, I'm going to leave the final decision to your own preference.

Reply to
BigWallop

It should be screwed to the floor, not 'bedded' onto anything.

Reply to
Barney

Even if the floor is very un-even or slopping?

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks very much for your answers.

It seems that the installer hadn't finished the installation. When he came back for the payment/finishing touches, he bedded the WC on sealant. Apparently there were loads of screws snapped off in the concrete, which made it difficult to screw in.

Anyway, the WC is now very stable, so I'm happy!

Will.

Reply to
William Gould

Fischer do a sanitary fixing screw/plug set just for such applications

Reply to
Gel

When I recently installed an Ideal Standard 'Space' corner WC, the blurb mentioned that you should not use mortar to bed in sanitaryware because... and I forget what it said exactly and have probably thrown away the piece of paper. Ho-hum. But it was the first time in over 30 years that I had ever seen it suggested that it was a potential hazard. Apart from the obvious (not allowing easy access once it is cemented in) I think it implied that it could cause a crack in sanitaryware. It never has for me. Cheers Gilbert

Reply to
gilbert