Help from anyone who has installed a Back to wall WC

I am about to buy a new bathroom suite.

Requirements: I quite simply would like the cheapest back to wall WC thats out there. Ideally I am looking for a wall hung WC, if the price is right. I would also like one that is able to use a DUAL FLUSH button, not lever.

Questions:

  1. Do they all support a dual flush button ? is this feature dependant on the cistern I use?

  1. If I use a wall hung unit, do I really need a bracket costing as much as the WC pan itself ?

  2. So far I have seen ideal standard from plumworld. Any other names or sites for me to use please ?
Reply to
freestyle_london

Have you tried doing a web search for "Wall Hung WC" in the UK? I think you'll get loads of hits to look through.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yep sure have.

It's not so much where to get them. Nearly all sites show the WC, and none seem to explain what cistern is required or where to get it !

argh.........

Reply to
freestyle_london

Time to let your fingers do the walking and get the phone book out of the dark corner. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I installed a back-to-wall WC in my bathroom refit (Ideal Standard Studio) with a Thomas Dudley Vantage push-button concealed cistern. (see

My one is a single flush, but they do a dual-flush version as well. I bought it all from my local Plumb Center.

Note that wall-hung WCs need something very strong to fix to - either a solid wall (with the cistern on the other side) or a steel frame. Thomas Dudley do the steel frames (optionally with the cistern pre-fitted), but they're not cheap. You'll save a lot of hassle by fitting a back-to-wall instead (the weight is borne by the floor). Try

for an on-line supplier.

-Antony

Reply to
Antony

I got a back to wall (not wall hung) from B&Q for a very reasonable price. I think wall hung ones are majorly expensive. They're quite an engineering design problem to stop them cracking.

That's about the cistern.

Yep.

I got a back to wall (not wall hung) from B&Q for a very reasonable price (hazy memories, but I think it was 99GBP). I think wall hung ones are majorly expensive. They're quite an engineering design problem to stop them cracking.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I've just installed a wall hung back to wall WC in my downstairs loo. It's great. Here's what I learned along the way...

If your requirement is for the cheapest then you will end up with a floor standing one as wall hung are all more expensive. It could be that they are more expensive to make but I suspect that really it's because they are considered more "exotic". Certainly the full cost, including all the fittings, will be higher as you will almost certainly need a frame/bracket. In my case the requirement was for quality but obviously I didn't want to pay more than I needed to.

The frame was the easy part and my local discount plumbing merchant got me an all singing Geberit frame complete with cistern for about =A3160. These things are so simple to fit that even a plumber couldn't get it wrong :-) They bolt to the wall and the floor and stick out about

160mm from the wall (plus whatever decorative facing you use). Future servicing is all done through the flushplate aperture so you can afford to build it in completely. The overflow is into the pan so no overflow pipe to worry about. It is dual flush and in use it is almost completely silent. Gerberit publish full details, including fitting instructions on their website.

The pan itself was more of a problem. All of the UK suppliers I could find (and I searched long and hard) were taking the p*ss. They wanted at least twice as much as I could pay by buying it in Germany and for the particular pan I wanted the best I could do in the UK was 3x the price. In the end I ordered it from megabad (.com) and even with the shipping cost I still saved around =A3100 to =A3150. In Germany wall hung is the norm and I think that shows in the price the suppliers can get away with charging.

Fitting a wall hung is stressful. Very stressful. The whole thing is supported on two 13mm studs (blots). These need to be tight enough to support the heaviest load but you've no way of knowing how tight that is. On the other hand too tight and the first thing you'll know is a "tink" as the ceramic pan cracks. Fun.

If you do fit a wall hung make sure you fit a foam gasket between the pan and the wall. If your wall is ceramic tiles you really need it as they won't be perfectly flat and any high spots will put a lot of pressure on those points of the pan which press against them. Even if your wall is completely true as mine is (Mermaid wallboard) the foam allows for slight movement between the pan and the wall and stops the thing creaking as you sit down.

One final note, the new "easy clean" coatings really do seem to work. Our pan is made by Duravit who use a coating called Wondergliss. I was sceptical but paid the extra anyway and I'm now a believer. How can I put this without being indelicate? You don't need a loo brush anymore...=20

Good luck, Calvin

Reply to
Calvin

I saw a TV programme about these some ~5 years ago. They are rather a failure in the UK. The reason being that it's usually the bloke in the house who chooses the loo, and blokes mostly think loos are self-cleaning anyway, as they never seem to have to clean it -- if they leave it in a mess, it's clean next time they come to use it ;-)

The japanese on the other hand have been using self cleaning loo coatings for years (even in urinals).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I did one with a back-to-wall (not wall hung) pan from Grahams for about £100. The cistern couples to the pan in the same was as a low-level (rather than close-coupled) suite i.e. by an L shaped pipe, so you can use whatever cistern suits you. I got a cheap ordinary plastic cistern from Wickes which was knocked down because it was manky and put in a dual-flush push-button flush valve (Torbeck Opella, but Multiquick do a similar one) and Torbeck filling valve.

Reply to
John Stumbles