Subject Author Posted Replies

Costs for external redecoration
Hi, I live on as estate which includes a dozen blocks, each of 9 flats (3 stories high). We are due to have the outside redecorated and some of you may recall that I posted a year ago asking about the...
5
5

Gridwatch France
isn't registering anything ATM. Assuming France hasn't disappeared off the face of the earth, is this related to TNP's absence from this NG over the last few days? I do hope he's OK.
5
5

Striping wall paper from plasterboard
I need to strip wallpaper from plasterboard walls. Standard wallpaper, not vinyl, an inpreinted sort of vertical strip pattern., direct to the plasterboard, no skim. No option really, this is the old...
7
7

Door not unlocking on urmet 1130 handset.
When flat buzzer is pressed , buzzer rings in flat , we lift handset , switch on base unit extends . We can hear person outside speak but they are unable to hear us . We then de-press button on base...
4
4

Replacing a SW400 controller with a HoneywellST6400
I want to replace my broken Switchmaster 400 with a Honeywell 6400. The problem is that the SW400 puts on heating and water together. How can I get the ST6400 to put on both when I select Central...
9
9

Metal Blanking Plate for 1-gang socket
Can anyone suggest where I can purchase low profile blanking plates for a couple of sockets ? I plan to paint over these. The white plastic blanking plates from MK et al. have a raised profile. There...
4
4

OT. VAT on carriage
If an item is advertised as £22.40 incl. VAT. £18.67 excl. Carriage £4.95. Would you then expect to be charged £28.34 i.e. VAT also being applied to carriage? Thanks
6
6

[OT] ZWave
Been playing with some of this "new" Z-Wave RF home automation stuff. In particular, the VeraLite internet controller (runs OpenWRT inside plus some proprietary stuff), and these two devices:...
13
13

Help... Compression joint... Tiny bit leaky...
Hi, Well, I have the cold water distribution in place in my under stairs cupboard: Well I've capped off (or closed valves) and pressurised the dry pipe to 2.5bar. Been over it with gas leak spray and...
56
56

OT: Car insurance for youths
My 17 year old son has passed his test. Quotes via the comparison sites are all coming in over £3k and there's not much to be saved by him turning 18. To save me hours on the phone, are there any...
34
34

Unusual Central Heating Questions - Part II Earthing
Andrew Gabriel mentioned in the post "Unusual Central Heating Questions" "this inverter has no internal link between neutral and earth. You will need to bond these together (and to a reliable earth)...
10
10

OT Energy storage systems
Came across this Wiki list Pumped storage seems the only viable system for really large amounts of energy, given appropriate topography, although compressed air storage in underground caverns, and...
7
7

OT: kids' bikes
Can anyone recommend a lightweight bike for a nine year old boy and also where to get it in London. He's quite big for his age. He has an old Raleigh we had as a family pass-on but it's very heavy and...
8
8

Good news :-)
People 'lack confidence to tackle DIY jobs' http://www.diyweek.net/news/news.asp?id=18294
36
36

Hi vis checking
I wonder if there's a law dictating how much reflectivity a hivis jacket should have. Can you get into trouble if it's too muddy?
35
35