Subject Author Posted Replies

TRV Valve head stuck?
I'm a bit new to central heating. One radiator will not work when the head is on - it looks like one of these: If I take the head off the valve pin on the radiator works fine and the radiator blasts...
19
19

OT: Coal -fired power stations and electricity generation
Is it my imagination, or has the output from coal-fired power stations dropped significantly since Kellingley closed on the 18th (Gridwatch)? If not my imagination, and I don't think it is, is it a...
9
9

Flush saver id
My new house has a cistern with some sort of flush saver valve, in line, with a swivelling tap on top to presumably allow the water flow to be directed so as not to make a splashing sound. I can't id...
12
12

Garden chipper blowing fuses?
Hi all, Mate went to use his garden chipper the other day and it ran for half an hour then stopped. He checked for blockages and it was clear and left it for a while and tried again but nothing....
17
17

Vodaphone billing (probably OT)
For the last 3 months I have been unable to display and print off my monthly bill. (needed for accountant and VAT purposes). The video *how to* guide shows screens as they used to appear but don't now...
23
23

Lace Curtain Tip
In Wilkinsons today buying a new level. And its reassuring to know that both the floors in Wilkinsons - that particular branch anyway and shelves at home put up 20 or more years ago are still level....
3
3

[OT] Paper bags carbon footprint too high
Utterly off topic - but I was wondering if anyone else knew anything about this: Just asked a High St retailer if they had any plans to introduce paper bags as a more environmentally friendly...
45
45

OT? Neff cooker
I have a Neff double oven cooker. There is a puzzle. It has a grill both in the top and bottom oven. These purportedly are the same power. However the top oven glows strongly red after being on for a...
12
12

OT ish - SpaceX launch and landing last night.
Being sad I set the alarm for 0130 today to watch SpaceX / Elon Musk's latest rocketry (launch and then recovery) efforts. They nailed it. Very impressive. Webcast "meat" starts about 20 minutes in...
21
21

OT Interesting webpage.
http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/Multiculturalism%20and%20Marxism.html

Why can I still buy non-rough service incandescent bulbs?
I thought the only GLS incandescent bulbs I can buy nowadays have to be rough service. However on Amazon I see GLS bulbs with no mention of rough service and with a very domestic-looking pearl finish....
14
14

today's dogwalk pics (on topic)
I don't know why any radio ham would install such an aerial without having it on a rotator. It's been there a while; never moves. Our local windmill is still looking a bit sad... Bill
28
28

Car radio possessed??
Hi All, I replaced the radio in my 2001 Ford Focus a few years ago and it has been fine until a few weeks ago. All of a sudden, all sound will go but otherwi se the radio/ CD seems to be functioning...
11
11

Recently discovered secret papers & the EUSSR
With chilling candour, a paper from a senior government official laid out the difficulties that Britain would face in the proposed Common Market.

Problem with softwood threshold
I have frenchwindows with a softwood threshold. This receives an enormous amount of damage from people standing on it. Before replacing the whole frame, I thought a metal strip to protect it might be...
10
10