Names for parts of a house

Hi
Does anyone have a link to a website that lists all the little parts of a house and the materials used in its construction?
e.g. I don't know the difference between beams, rafters, joists, gables, eaves, soffits etc. etc so when I talk to builders I can communicate clearly what work I need doing?
Thanks,
Clive

I have a book, sadly packed for the house move, else I could tell you what it was called, along these lines;
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1687533.Building_Technology
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 5th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3182
Celebrate Mungday
On 05/01/2016 11:24, Huge wrote:

Indeed - excellent book. Also google 'illustrated glossary of construction terms'
The Harris Dictionary of Architecture & Construction is well worth downloading, then just search the pdf.
--
Cheers, Rob

On 05/01/2016 12:14, RJH wrote:

https://evrosoriou.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/dictionary-of-architecture-and-construction.pdf
(25MB)
--
Cheers, Rob

On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 02:52:44 -0800, clive.r.long wrote:

Reminds me of a very old joke about an Irishman applying for a job on a building site who, amazingly, knew his Joist from his Girder, but it doesn't work very well in text.
On 05/01/16 11:27, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Ah yes! a much loved old joke from the days when building sites were full of 'Paddys' before they took to banking and technology.
It was an over-educated Irish graduate iirc, or even an aspiring poet or playwrite, WBYeats on the building site sort of.
TW

There's a bit to go at here!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=traditional+pitched+roof+construction&tbm=isch&imgil=JojklYvt-62zXM%253A%253BZVUjuW6GD-gmgM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.cstevensroofing.co.uk%25252Fpitched.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=JojklYvt-62zXM%253A%252CZVUjuW6GD-gmgM%252C_&biw 76&bih3&usg=__-wlf3ALyAyvflXZSu-A2bGMkToA%3D&ved hUKEwio0djLzJLKAhXKvxQKHfb2ARUQyjcIKw&ei2LVuiNMMr_Uvbth6gB#tbm=isch&tbs=rimg%3ACXGu9bTo8eQcIjj7OSb61yyx8Y2--8QXVyy_1W_1LjHh94FHJBxSWLfFkp1JEl930Vj3jeWERFIfoLXv8i6PJt4o9SvCoSCfs5JvrXLLHxEf2tfd4MSaitKhIJjb77xBdXLL8R_1a193gxJqK0qEglb8uMeH3gUchH9rX3eDEmorSoSCUHFJYt8WSnUEf2tfd4MSaitKhIJkSX3fRWPeN4RneV9UmwphqgqEglYREUh-gte_1xHM6RUgSnvtrSoSCSLo8m3ij1K8EZQmLduFV9Ln&q=traditional%20pitched%20roof%20construction
--
Cheers,
Roger
On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 10:52:47 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

A lot of the terms vary regionally so your local builders may not understand rhones and dwangs for example.
There's a virtual cigar for anyone who can understand what was meant by "wee chuckies" on an estimate.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Here in Aberdeenshire, chuckies are stones, usually granite, so wee chuckies would be little ones :-)
Chuckies as used to cover areas of garden, drives etc.
--
Graeme

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk says...

Is a "Wee Boar-hair" still a recognised unit?
--
Sam

On 05/01/2016 13:46, Sam Plusnet wrote:

Nope, but wee baw hairs are. as in "take a baw hair oaf that" i.e. it is SLIGHTLY oversize
Even finer is 'a midgie baw hair' (gnat ball[testicle] hair).
Both these are highly technical terms ;O)
On Tuesday, 5 January 2016 12:39:52 UTC, News wrote:

Close.
Grit for pebble-dashing.
Nae cigar but you can hae a buttery.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

Well, I've never heard that, but I'll ask a local builder friend :-)

Thank ye
--
Graeme

Grit is closer to sand than chuckies. The small stones used for the pebble dash could I suppose be called chuckies. But as 'News' said, they are more usually rough granite chippings rather than smooth pebbles.

That would be a rowie in chuckie land.
--
*A dog's not just for Christmas, it's alright on a Friday night too*

er than smooth pebbles.

Yes and no. "Buttery" is a rowie's "Sunday name" when you're trying to be a wee bit posh. ;-)
Tim

Naw - just used by the heathens of the south. ;-)
Posh name is morning roll. Hence rowie.
--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*

I was going to say that, but I think rowie is pure Aberdeen. Here in the shire, buttery or butt'ry is more common.
--
Graeme

On 1/6/2016 7:37 AM, News wrote:

Some cookbooks call them 'buttery rowies'.

Small stones. Most common sort would be on a path etc.
--
*Be more or less specific *

I'm sure wee chuckies was a game we used to play with stones many years ago. Bit hazy on quite why though. i suppose the stones we used were shaped a little like egs. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active