Source of schematics for appliances - AEG fridge

Hi, all.

I'm fairly sure I've seen someone post on here a link to a good website where you can download service manuals, wiring diagrams etc for domestic appliances.

I've got an AEG santo fridge ( big tall one, part of a pair with matching tall upright freezer ) ( not very old, but out-of-warranty ) and the self-defrost has stopped working. It's frosting up on the rear panels in a few days. The door seals look to be in excellent condition, and as far as I can tell, the door and cabinet are not distorted. Also, after opening the fridge and closing it, immediate re-opening is slightly harder, because of a slight pressure difference across the door which takes a moment or two to equalise. The manual says this will happen, and it does, so I think that is enough to confirm the door seals are OK.

So I need to look at the defrost timer / stat / element.

I've been able to get an exploded view of the fridge off the Electrolux / AEG website, but I can't see the self-defrost parts on it. I was hoping for a wiring diagram, before I go to the effort of horsing the heavy great lump of a thing out of it's space and getting in about the gubbins at the rear and having to reverse-engineer the thing by inspection and wire-tracing.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

I know of the following, but have never found either of them particularly useful!

Lobster

Pete Cross

If its a fridge rather than fridge freezer, the self defrosters dont have any defrosting mechanism. They simply use a larger heat exchanger so it gets above freezing during off times. If yours isnt defrosting, switch off and let it defrost fully, check the drainage at bottom is not blocked, and plug back in. If if refrosts its running too much, with a few possible causes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

That's interesting. Yes, it is just a fridge. Perhaps that's why I couldn't find reference to the derfrost timer etc in the exploded view.

I did a quick manual defrost a few days ago, but only for a few hours hastened along with a cloth soaked in warm water to get the ice off the back plastic wall. I strongly suspect there's an iceberg I have not removed on the evapourator coils behind the plastic. Untill I fully defrost that, the surface ice will continue to re-appear, I think.

The drain is clear to the evapouration trays on top of the compressor.

I also suspect the ice on the coils will block the fan-forced airflow, reducing the machine's ability to cool the main cabinet, causing the machine to run more than necessary, thus making self-defrosting not work properly and causing further icing.

I'll do a full defrost over the w/end, when I can transfer the contents to the non-fancy old-but-working fridge downstairs in the store room.

Reply to
Ron Lowe