Colour matching is a ripoff

If you take an item to colour match in B&Q, the computer selects from one of 200 or whatever it is colours. NOT infinite colours. So you might aswell get it for half the price and just select from the big chart on the wall!

Reply to
Mr Macaw

And when they do make up a tin or two and shove it on the mixer, when you get it home half the small amount of critical colour component is still stuck on the underside of the lid!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

The one they did for me was supposed to match some varnished wood. The paint was right next to the wood and clearly a completely different colour. Surely the computer could make infinite shades so you did actually get a match?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Colour no 42?

Reply to
ARW

La Rosa or Hewlett Packard?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I thought B&Q used the Dulux matching machine.

The problem is it's reasonable to assume that you get a better result by using the machine than by just picking a colour from the chart.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Maybe they've changed it since I went:

2.2 million colours.

When I went there, the computer gave him a code, and he selected a tin of dye from a chart that it told him to. When I said "Couldn't I have done that by eye", he said "Er.... yes."

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Don't feed Peter Hucker's right hand which is gripping his "little dick". He posts for attention and wanks over every reply. I have heard that he is in trouble with the Inland Revenue.

Reply to
The Brain

not anymore

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Its also very difficult to get right even with infinite mixing options. Even the texture of the surface the same colour is painted on can look a different colour. When I worked for a defence company, one of the biggest issues was colour difference between units destined for the same rack.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

You talk bollocks as ever. It mixes the colours to arrive at the nearest match

- so there are an infinite number.

I took a small piece of grey edging in and they matched it perfectly. They put the item on a scanner and after half a minute or so it says it has the best match. It then mixes the right proportions of paint.

The match was perfect.

Have you actually tried it: or is this just yet another incorrect fuckwitted "observation"

Reply to
Judith

For technical reasons, an infinite number of colours is not possible. I would seriously hope they select from a lot more than 200 though! Otherwise there would be an awful lot of refunds.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I bought a tin of it and watched him do it (it was 5 years ago though, so they may have changed the system). The computer gave him a code after scanning the item I gave him. He found the code on a chart of a couple of hundred colours, and made it up for me. The very same couple of hundred colours that I could have picked from the shelves on the next aisle for half the price.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

m one of 200 or whatever it is colours. NOT infinite colours. So you m= ight aswell get it for half the price and just select from the big chart= on the wall!

I would seriously hope they select from a lot more than 200 though! Othe= rwise there would be an awful lot of refunds.

A computer can display 16 million colours, so can domestic printers cost= ing =A330. No reason you can't do that with paint. Simply adjust the a= mount of each dye infinitesimally.

-- =

If you feel tired, pull off at the motorway services -- Highway Code, UK= . How's that going to help?!?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

It's reassuring that, in defending the realm, colour matching is a big issue.

I'm desperate to get some kitchen units in British Standard Light Straw :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Must have cost too much ...

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

one of 200 or whatever it is colours. NOT infinite colours. So you might aswell get it for half the price and just select from the big chart on the wall!

snip

they may have changed the system). The computer gave him a code after sca nning the item I gave him. He found the code on a chart of a couple of hun dred colours, and made it up for me. The very same couple of hundred colou rs that I could have picked from the shelves on the next aisle for half the price.

That doesn't however imply that the matching service can only pick from 200 colours. Having used the Dulux system, sometimes it picks a colour that ha ppens to match one of their most popular colours, and there is only a relat ively small range of those. The system is still able to match a vast variet y of other colours too.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

one of 200 or whatever it is colours. NOT infinite colours. So you might aswell get it for half the price and just select from the big chart on the wall!

would seriously hope they select from a lot more than 200 though! Otherwis e there would be an awful lot of refunds.

ng £30. No reason you can't do that with paint. Simply adjust the amoun t of each dye infinitesimally.

Which of course is not possible. There are limits to how accurately each st ep of the process works: scanning the colour, A-D conversion, calculation a nd paint dispensing. Those are what limits the number of colours - not that whether it's 1 or 16 million actually makes much difference, usually.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The railways can be pretty tight with their specs too.

The equivalent wording in the withdrawn GM/RT2180 iss 3 used to demand:

We had great fun with this when we discovered that, on the same site, we were painting new build EMUs and DMUs with slightly different paints, both of which had origins in a list in the standard, but neither of which complied fully with this CIE data as written.

We tried to argue the point using shade cards viewed at a distance, and you couldn't really tell the difference. However a test meter could.

In the end, when the right people got round the table, it became clear that the expert who had given the original information had never intended that such a spec would be used to define how compliance should be assessed, and a lot of repainting was avoided.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

AQt the BBC we always used British Leyland Dove Grey as our vehicle colour until the designers moved in. The BBC Grey was defined as a Pantone number. Quite useless for vehicles.

Reply to
charles