Subject Author Posted Replies

How likely was this screw missing?
My 16 year old nephew assembled my floor standing fan. All went well except he said a screw was missing. It's one of three very small screws to attach the name plate in the middle of the mesh guard:...
25
25

mystery plant
This thing has sprung up. Does anyone know what it is? Bill https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/IMG_0249.JPG https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11023364/IMG_0250.JPG...
9
9

Four for the angle grinder fanboys.
I just had the idea of making a metal frame which will be screwed and attached on my angle grinder and a propeller which would be attached at the point where the discs would normally be placed. ►...
6
6

Booster pump for mains water, no break tank?
This seems ridiculous and illegal. Is there something I'm missing or is it acceptable to put your neighbours into a negative water pressure scenario? AB...
15
15

Centrifugal force in the washing machne
Looking for a sanity check. If the washing m/c spins at 1400 rpm and has a drum radius of 25 cm. my dozy calculation is that the centrifugal force is around 672g. Just sounds a little high. rusty
44
44

Petrol strimmer recommendations?
Looking at strimmer/brush cutter for clearing largish overgrown area. Seeems to be a number of X in 1 devices with hedge trimmer/ chainsaw attachments around. It`s likely to be a one time major...
24
24

UPVC windows: Locking strip/mechanism repairable?
One of my UPVC windows has a locking strip that no longer works. The handle 's shaft turns okay, but it doesn't cause the sliding strip with the lockin g studs to slide at all. I took the handle off,...
10
10

Tin openers
What can I use to open a 20 litre drum with? I don't want a dangerous jagged edge.
33
33

Creeping gutters
I'm getting a lot of trouble with two sections of gutters - the long (6m) straight sections down 2 sides of the house. These are made up of 2x 3m lengths of Brett deep plastic guttering (non round,...
13
13

UPVC windows: stopping old external rubber seal from blackening the frame?
I keep finding external rubber seals on UPVC windows start to degrade on th e surface, shedding black dust that blackens the frame. Wiping the seal wit h a rag leaves heavy deposits of black rubber...
4
4

Patio
My concrete flagged patio is looking a bit grotty even though it gets loads of sunlight. I jet washed it using washing up liquid, but it is still not brilliant. I jet wash it every year. It has been...
53
53

Constructing a door frame
I've just liberated some nice 2x4" timber from next door's skip and it looks substantial enough to construct a new door frame for my daughter. The old frame however is made from 6x2" timber which...
5
5

Garden shredder recommendations
I have a lot of hedge and thin branch tree pruning waste that I need to reduce/dispose of throughout the year. A shredder seems to be a sensible idea. Any views on a Makita UD2500? I am also...
6
6

Parts of this pedal-powered submarine appear made of wood
It has made me think about what I could do in the shed. Tim W Poisson pilote - Two men are to pedal a submarine across the English Channel from Plymouth to St Malo.
15
15

Boiler flue positioning relative to gas meter
Looking into possibly relocating my daughter's boiler to give more options in the kitchen refit. It's currently fitted very awkwardly in a corner cupboard that is appalling for access and messes up...
12
12