Garden shredder recommendations

I have a lot of hedge and thin branch tree pruning waste that I need to reduce/dispose of throughout the year. A shredder seems to be a sensible idea.

Any views on a Makita UD2500? I am also considering a Wolf Garten SDE2800.

Thanks.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

All depends on how much shredding you want to do.

Reply to
harry

I gave up on shredders. I either used an old chop saw to cut bundles up into 6 inch lengths, or for the softer shrub stuff, laid it on the grass and ran the rotary mower over it, with the grass box attached. Crude, but it works.

Reply to
Capitol

The crushing and cutting type shredders are far nicer to use and quiet compared to the the flying flail type. I have a 3hp electric bosch one no longer made but similar principle machines are branded as "quiet" compared with "rapid" models to be avoided IMHO.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I think the main issue with the crushers over the slicers is speed and consequences (cost and inconvenience) when you get a stone or lump of metal in there by mistake. ;-(

I have the 'Bosch AXT Rapid 2200' and the blades are under £20 (and reversible) versus the crusher wheel at nearer £75+.

I'd like to try one of the crusher types though and either type has gotta be quieter than the one I fixed and tested the other day (like this):

Certainly gets though the lighter stuff pretty quickly as you can see at 40: and :50. ;-)

The hammer / flail action on the top brush chute is particularly aggressive!

Also chips up to 3.5" diameter.

Not what you want in your urban back garden on a Sunday afternoon though.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I've had one of these for a few years

shredder/698091_BQ.prd It's been great.

It's the slower, quieter drum type of cutter, when I first switched it on I wasn't convinced but it plainly relies on torque rather than speed and has handled pretty much everything we've shoved in it.

Foliage can gum it up though.

Reply to
R D S

I have one of these too. They certainly get through an amazing volume of stuff quickly, if noisily. But I find the blades only last about half an hour of intensive cutting, and I havn't been successful in re-sharpening them (they are induction hardened and only have a thin hardened surface layer).

Me too, that's what I would probably buy if the ATX died and I still had a regular need for heavy shredding. But the ATX is so fast and easy provided you have fresh blades that I don't faff around, I replace them as soon as they go off the boil.

Reply to
newshound