Garden shredder; recommendations?

They seem to run from about£50 to £500 or more. I'm thing of getting one as my garden has a lot of shrubs that get pruned each year. Looking for a reasonably priced one which will be reliable. Thanks
--
Chris Holford

On 17/06/2018 22:03, Chris Holford wrote:

Amazon reviews are your friend IMHO. FWIW I have a Bosch AXT Rapid 2200 which is fairly amazing, although you do need to replace the rotating blades regularly. People with "serious" gardens tend to go with the more expensive "grinder" type.
On 17/06/18 22:30, newshound wrote:

Bosch Shredder AXT 25 TC
It's between a cutter and a grinder (slow conical cutting blade). Quiet enough to run for hours without upsetting the neighbours.
Been very impressed: It eats upto the stated thickness of branches and it will take fine fresh hedge trimmings without clogging (though these do need a bit of wiggling with the supplied push stick - partly down to the narrow safety chute mouth - but there's not avoiding this on domestic grade gear.
Munches cardboard too if you rip it into foot wide strips then roll up like a branch - handy for bulking out grass cuttings in compost.
Sounds good. The noise factor is what would put me off of using these having heard many. Brian
--
----- --
On 18/06/2018 08:07, Tim Watts wrote:

I like the look of that. Nice big collection box. More than double the price, though.
My ATX rapid can wear out a set of blades inside an hour, the blade tips are induction hardened and I have never had any luck trying to sharpen them. Presumably yours last *much* longer.
Mind you, you can get through a HUGE pile of cuttings in an hour.
On 18/06/18 11:09, newshound wrote:

I've not touched mine - but I've only had it a year mind...
On 18/06/2018 21:15, Tim Watts wrote:

I have had a Bosh with the cutting screw for a few years now, not sharpened it yet.
It has an induction motor and it can get fouled up if you put a branch with a lot of green leaves on as they get pulled off and block the mouth. They shred much easier if they can dry for a few days first.
The branches come out cut into small lengths and partially crushed so they compost well.
On 22/06/2018 19:03, dennis@home wrote:

Sounds like the one I had. No easy way to resharpen the helix alas. ISTR that the part was £80 when I replaced it the first time. They work ok when sharp, so long as you can accept the limitation that it only works well when shredding exactly the right kind of stuff - dryish, not to leafy or lush, nothing too soft.
The small opening also makes them hard to feed - you spend alot of time shopping side shoots off to get the thing in the hopper. I think they designed the hopper opening to limit the size of branch that could be fed, but in doing so just made it hard to feed. (I attacked mine with a reciprocating saw in the end to make the hopper neck wider!)
In the end I got so fed up with it, I lobbed it in a skip rather than replace the helix again etc.
About the only bit of it I miss is it was good when taking down over grown brambles - you could snip a bit off near the root, and feed in an end, it would then pull in the rest of the stalk and save you getting lacerated by it too much.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 23/06/2018 03:48, John Rumm wrote:

I didn't really have a problem with it jamming. The wife does though as she just wont stop bunching loads of stuff up and shoving it all in at once. It will quite happily take a whole branch and pull it through but it won't take three or more at the same time.
On 24/06/2018 09:44, dennis@home wrote:

I found with a branch it would start out ok, but then choke when it got down to the leafy bits without much wood left...
--
Cheers,

John.
On 17/06/18 22:03, Chris Holford wrote:

I've had Screwfix's own brand shredder for over a year, and thoroughly recommend it. Absolutely no problems and it works well using a slow-speed cogwheel-type blade to pull in and cut/crush branches. <https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb683shr-2500w-200kg-hr-garden-shredder-230v/6887p
Previously I used a high-speed shredder ()rotating blade) which I had to stop to unblock every few minutes. It was also extremely noisy.
--

Jeff

On Sun, 17 Jun 2018 22:34:11 +0100

That looks like the one I hired - it filled my new compost bin with very well chewed vegetation - everything from inch-and-a-half thick branches to grass and soft green leafy stuff came out nicely crushed and chopped, and occasional jams were easily cleared by shifting into reverse.

I have one of those, it's crap. If I had paid more than a tenner for it I'd have been annoyed. No amount of careful cleaning, adjustment and sharpening will get it to run for more than a few minutes without jamming and even when it is working it doesn't do a very good job.
wrote: <snip> >> Previously I used a high-speed shredder ()rotating blade) which I had

I guess even those of a similar design can be different in use.
I bought one of the Bosch spinny disk ones (partly because of the good reviews here and elsewhere) and whilst it is a bit noisy, it is fast and therefore on for less time.
Daughter took down a small (25') conifer and I fed everything that would go though the chipper though it and it took it faster than I could clear the bags of chip away! You would just drop one or two of the branches in and it would just fall though about the speed of gravity. ;-)
There was also an old apple tree and that it also consumed but that was more difficult, simply because *nothing* was straight. It also took all the vegetation ok.
We have both used it on other jobs and still agree it's a great bit of kit (for something that small / light / cheap).
Her other flail chipper has a 13hp Honda engine and she has played with big trailered jobbies when working for a local Tree Surgery Co so should be able to judge 'a good chipper' from a bad one. ;-)
Not quite up to the capacity of the beast we saw at one of the Arb shows that was taking half a dozen telegraph (and bigger) sized tree trunks and chipping them at the same time!
Cheers, T i m
On 18/06/2018 00:10, Rob Morley wrote:

I was going to say I liked the look of that, until reading your experience!
Some Titan stuff seems to be OK for the price. But a clone of the Bosch £400 one for a quarter of the price looks too good to be true.

I have one of these (the rotating disk type). It's rubbish. Don't buy one of those.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 23rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 10:34:12 PM UTC+1, Jeff Layman wrote:

getting one

r-230v/6887p>

I had a Champion BL1800 shredder from Focus many years ago, it has a rotati ng disk with a couple of double-sided blades screwed to it. When they wear out, unscrew them and turn them round. Fairly reliable as long as you were careful with larger knotty branches, but a bit noisy. Sadly I can't get new blades for love nor money.
On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 06:11:31 -0700 (PDT)

Build the worn ones up with a bit of weld and regrind them?
On Monday, June 18, 2018 at 9:44:18 PM UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:

That's a bit beyond my capabilities. But I might dig out my dad's old oilstone and have a go at sharpening them, and touch up the kitchen knives while I'm at it. A&E, here I come...
On 19/06/2018 07:17, Halmyre wrote:

Did you check whether the Bosch ATX Rapid ones might be the same?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)29397291&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+shredder+blade
I can check the measurements for you if they look about right.
On Tuesday, June 19, 2018 at 9:35:51 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:

ilstone and have a go at sharpening them, and touch up the kitchen knives w hile I'm at it. A&E, here I come...

Y16DZQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid29397291&sr=8-1&keywords=bosch+sh redder+blade

Thanks, but mine are like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/AL-KO-Shredder-Blade-Screws-Prepack-103264-ALKO-Dy namic-Tec-Power-Slider/2255374607
only rectangular instead of rhomboidal. I did source a set from somewhere, but the shape was subtly different, they didn't sit quite right on the spin ner plate and were trying to take too much off at each pass, so it would ei ther jam on the thicker stuff or pass the lighter stuff through unshredded.
The stalls at vintage car or agricultural rallies used to be a good source for this sort of stuff. Also, it might be that the Al-Ko plate is a straigh tforward swap (hah!), I should look into that.