Patio

My concrete flagged patio is looking a bit grotty even though it gets loads of sunlight. I jet washed it using washing up liquid, but it is still not brilliant. I jet wash it every year. It has been down for about 5 years and always looked fine up to now. Does anybody know if patio cleaner really works?

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I thought "concrete flag"s were a chav thing, only laid by council tenant on account of its cost?

Concrete flags do change and become dull, why no reputable home owner would ever use them.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Agreed. That and gravel. Just ends up all over the lawn/flowerbed/etc. My drive is monoblocked.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Er, no.

Thanks for your very useful input. Now, go f*ck yourself.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Taa.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Er, yes. Plain cheap ugly slabs of concrete is for council estates. Compare these two:

I thought you scrubbed your slabs with a toothbrush?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

On Fri, 05 Aug 2016 19:53:17 +0100, Phil L wr= ote:

0north%20london/155.jpg

I just checked Beatson's prices (similar to Jewsons) and the cost is abo= ut the same.

So you have to be really stupid to get tacky plain concrete slabs when y= ou can have monoblock for the same price.

Look at the photos I linked to and tell me in all honesty you prefer the= big grey squares.

-- =

Where would we be without rhetorical questions?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

That bog standard herringbone pattern is the one the local councils are putting on tenants drives around here.

Reply to
dennis

Do you mean Block Pavers?

Reply to
Bod

Yes, they are called many things. For example:

10 times smarter than big plain grey chunks of concrete.
Reply to
James Wilkinson

Typical council wasting money.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

As you've posted an image of badly laid, old, broken, shaded slabs in a public area compared to a fairly new block paved area with a hideous blue Mercedes parked on it, it's quite obvious what answer you expect. They both look naff to me, one because it's block paving with a posers car on it, the other because it's badly laid and broken.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

It's a patio not a driveway you pillock. I'm not even sure if the flags are actually concrete, they are very white and are not the same as the ones on footpaths. I had those crappy "monoblocks" on the drive at my last house. I fought the weeds for 18 years. I've seen a photo of your weed infested shithole drive Hucker. Very council estate - as you are

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Even perfect slabs don't look nice. They're grey and large. The smaller and more colourful the pieces, the better it looks, which is why a mosaic floor like the Romans used is very nice.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

I picked the first of each I found. There don't seem to be many examples of newly laid slabs, because they're s**te and nobody wants them. They get given away on freecycle constantly, as people upgrade their driveways.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Doesn't matter, there are much nicer things you can have there, consider upgrading to this:

That's a bit better.

Bleach kills weeds stone dead. And jetwash.

I'm too lazy/busy to clean it often.

Reply to
James Wilkinson

No. Block Paviors.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You're either a snob or French, most call them block pavers:

The reason is they pave, so they are pavers. Where are you getting the i and the o from?

Reply to
James Wilkinson

Make a home brew cleaner - much stronger and does a really good job.

Sodium Hypochlorite (14%)

Lauryl Dimethylamine Oxide - (AKA Amine Oxide)

A suitable mix is 3L Hypo

9L water 300ml Amine

suds it up in a bucket. With a hose wet the patio, apply solution with a soft nylon sweeping brush (type used to wash caravans) work it in and leave ... keep it wet with more solution ... don't let it dry.

After 5 mins you will see all algae & staining lifting off .... go over with brush agitating it .... then after about 20min rinse off.

I found Bonnymans cheapest on-line stockists of the product.

Reply to
rick

A jetwash (using the narrow jet without a fancy attachment) cleans anything off anything instantly. Just don't try cleaning your tyres with it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson