Dishwasher pong

Have got complaints of a pongy dishwasher. Washed items come out smelly too. They've tried hot washes with washing up liquid, washing powder & bleach with no joy. Smells like drains. The hottest program it does is 70C. Any ideas where to go from here?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Try to avoid washing slobbery rubber dog toys :-P

Reply to
Andy Burns

Actual dishwasher cleaner?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Check the drain outlet pipe isn't blocked- pipe, however it gets to the actual drain etc. Is there a U bend? Check it is clear etc.

Check there isn't any food etc caught in the drain filter at the bottom of the cabinet.

We run a dishwasher cleaner thing through ours every now and then. A little bottle of something you stand in it, run a max wash, (nothing else in it).

Reply to
Brian Reay

It's probably caused by bacteria. I find a good dose of disinfectant invariably works.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Same as with smelly washing machines.

Reply to
mechanic

Thanks everyone, I'll pass the info on. I don't wash dog balls in it :)

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Sounds like a growth of some kind. The main stuff used has a high nitrogen release content I'd imagine, ideal for things to grow on. There has to be something that can be done, though if its in a very inaccessible place, good luck.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Soda Crystals - Full packet on hottest wash

alan_m

ly too. They've tried hot washes with washing up liquid, washing powder & b leach with no joy. Smells like drains. The hottest program it does is 70C. Any ideas where to go from here?

We have news... it often has water in it when finished, so it looks like a drainage problem. It will be investigated soon.

thanks NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

No I think this is normal; but the running temperature *should* kill most things biological.

Reply to
newshound

lly too. They've tried hot washes with washing up liquid, washing powder & bleach with no joy. Smells like drains. The hottest program it does is 70C. Any ideas where to go from here?

e a drainage problem. It will be investigated soon.

It's not normal, she hadn't thought to mention it. Dishwashers pump out aft er the drying cycle.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

When I worked in a hotel, the dish washers there used to have a pink bloom on them which was a bacteria that actually lived on the soap/hot water mixture . They had 'nothing in' washes with a washer cleaner every so often. This kept the smellies at bay and stopped this (totally harmless) bloom becoming a nuisance.

Reply to
soup
[21 lines snipped]

Huge

Makes it sound horrible.

As part of my working at the hotel I ordered the soaps/disinfectants etc. It was the "Diversey"[1] (a soap manufacturer) rep/salesman who told me this 'pink bloom' was harmless, but he had exactly the product to 'cure' it MRDA.

Sure the bloom was more pink than a deep red as illustrated in that article (different stuff? or just a light case). This was twenty five years ago, and I don't work there anymore indeed the building itself has been demolished so I can hardly go check.

[1]
soup

elly too. They've tried hot washes with washing up liquid, washing powder & bleach with no joy. Smells like drains. The hottest program it does is 70C . Any ideas where to go from here?

a drainage problem. It will be investigated soon.

The solution to that is often to run a hot wash with a bottle of dish-washe r cleaner in it. Works every time for the machines in our lets.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Dogs everywhere are glad to hear that.

Reply to
Adam Funk

Do you clean out the filters?

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

lly too. They've tried hot washes with washing up liquid, washing powder & bleach with no joy. Smells like drains. The hottest program it does is 70C. Any ideas where to go from here?

She does. Looks like it's been diagnosed now.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr