Subject Author Posted Replies

winter heating allowance
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the rules for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...
114
114

Cashless society?
Went to Waitrose yesterday and used coupons to get £80 off, but when t he cashier was ready for the cards it rejected all three due to a faulty re ader, so I had to go outside and get £140 in real...
5
5

How can I sense hot water flow?
Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the f amily because there is only two of us here and we...
15
15

potertton profile 60eL
this boiler pilot light is ok but main burner not starting, when i press the reset button its burner comes up but when i move my finger from reset button its go off again, is there any problem with...

Is this light switch ok
I have to replace a 2 gang dimmer switch, one gang operates the lights, the other gang I havent a clue, dont even know if it is wired. Anyhow I bought a replacement but just noticed it is a 2 gang, 2...
31
31

Quiz - down lights and that extension
OK so we have first fixed the basement and ground floor of the extension. And the customer seems to like down lights. We will also be rewiring the existing house. So how many down lights will we end...
26
26

Plant torture
Is it ok to saw a plant in half so I get two? Yes I know it's out of focus, I didn't check it before potting the plants, I dunno what the camera focused on, but I can't see it in the picture.
12
12

Buzzzz!
Following a series of electrician induced power failures (*) yesterday afternoon the audio output from my PC now has severe mains hum on it. I have a Arcam Alpha 9 plugged into the 3.5mm headphone...
33
33

sourcing engineering plastics
I need some 50mm diameter engineering grade plastic rod - which I could get machined to my needs. Came across: Performance Plastics contacted them.. as I only wanted 100mm long he was happy to cut a...
1
1

OT: London powercut.
Round here we get one of these every year or so. Generally a tree across a line. It doesnt even make the local papers. But if it happens in the West End on a Friday Night!!!!! coverage across the...
18
18

OT: Question on diesel engines
What happens when you rev up a modern diesel engine (IOW blip the throttle pedal). What is exactly is causing the RPM to increase? Are you effectively just opening the injectors for longer to admit...
15
15

Temporarily turning off hot water in a combination boiler system?
I need to fix a hot tap in a sink in a relative's house (either clean out & replace the washer, or perhaps replace the tap) --- that's fine. But there's no service valve for this tap, and she has a...
9
9

Drone roof survey?
Just had a thought. If you are buying a house, you have a survey. But not on the roof/chimney stack? That's likely to be the most costly thing to repair. It occurs to me that if I buy a drone with a...
17
17

One for the electronics guys about soldering
I'm replacing the DC power connector on an Asus notebook. Got the old one out and when soldering the new one in I made a bit of a hash of things and I'm not sure now if the top two pins on the right...
3
3

IS THIS A RECORD?
20 appliances off one socket. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyH1OwKXgAA1N_9.jpg:large