Is this light switch ok

I have to replace a 2 gang dimmer switch, one gang operates the lights, the other gang I havent a clue, dont even know if it is wired. Anyhow I bought a replacement but just noticed it is a 2 gang, 2 way.

Is usable or have I purchased the wrong item. Its the 2 way part that I am not sure about.

Reply to
ss

It's ok, you can use 2-way switches as 1-way.

Reply to
Andy Burns

no problem ....

Reply to
Jimbo in the near of Hawick ..

It would annoy me incessantly to have a two gang switch with only one in use. Why did you not buy a single gang switch instead?

Reply to
Scott

It was like that when we bought the house and have had too many other jobs to spend time on it. Easier for me just to replace the switch bearing in mind I dont know yet if both switches are connected. If they are I will try and trace the `dead` one. Maybe it was for an outdoor light or something. Previous owners done a lot of DIY and they owned a light company :-) I am slowly replacing their halogens with LED. Lounge has 12 x 60w, kitchen 13 x halogens.

Reply to
ss

Not sure the time involved would be any different.

Are you in contact with them perchance? The answer may be a short phone call away.

Are these mains voltage or 12V? I have a lot of 12V halogen bulbs and I am wondering if they can be replaced or if the huge drop in load would damage the transformer.

Reply to
Scott

is it two way or two gang?????

Reply to
Jimbo in the near of Hawick ..

The problem is that older transformers do not suit leds. I did find that as long as one halogen is retained (where several lamps are fed from one transformer) everything is fine, but changing to all led makes that circuit flicker. You could of course change transformer as well or change the MR16 halogens to GU10 leds, you would need the GU10 bulb connectors and some rewiring. Where my halogens are only on for short times I have left them, ones which tend to be kept on for long periods I replaced the transformers and put in leds.

Reply to
MrCheerful

It's both.

Reply to
Graham.

Thanks. What do you mean by 'older' in the context of transfomers? Mine are torroidal transformers installed about 10 years ago. Is the situation different for electronic transformers and torroidal transformers? I suspect the cost of replacing a three torroidal transformers would exceed any savings to be be achieved.

Reply to
Scott

He says it's both. Any reason to doubt that?

Reply to
Scott

I believe they would be unsuitable, how many lamps are fed by each one? Leds are now only a couple of quid each, so it might be worthwhile buying enough for one circuit and trying, and you could experiment by leaving one halogen in and the rest led

Reply to
MrCheerful

No cant contact them.

I believe the halogens were 240v in and 12 v out. The ones I have replaced and still to replace are in the kitchen and where I had 9 halogens in the ceiling I have replaced with 4 LED 6 inch panels total wattage for the 4 is 48W as against 540W and it is much brighter (cool white). They cost around £8 per panel on ebay I think each panel has 30+ LEDs in it.

ss

There are five powered by each transformer. Each transformer has its own switch so in effect there are three lighting groups. I'm not too bothered about the cost of the LEDs but I don't want to risk wrecking the transformer in an experiment as these units are very expensive. Even leaving one halogen would mean a far lower load than the transformer is designed for. I think having three lamps different from the others would offend my sense of feng shui.

Reply to
Scott

Thanks. That was exactly my concern. I thought that the load and the coils on a transformer had to be balanced and thefore to substitute

48W for 540W would damage the transformer. I'm sure that overloading a transformer can cause damage. What I don't know is whether underloading can cause damage.

Hopefully, one of the experts will appear to explain.

Reply to
Scott

Just realised it's 'toroidal' before anyone points this out !!!

Reply to
Scott

IN this case, almost certainly not. It might have a higher output voltage though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I cant help with that but the panels I bought come with driver/ transformers.

Reply to
ss

If they are toroidal mains transformers (with no switched electronic supply) they will be perfectly happy with the LEDs. The problem is that if the transformers produce 12V AC and the LEDs require 12V DC the LEDs won't work.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

none...I see that now after re-reading...my sincere humble apogilies ....

Reply to
Jimbo in the near of Hawick ..