OT: London powercut.

Round here we get one of these every year or so. Generally a tree across a line.

It doesnt even make the local papers.

But if it happens in the West End on a Friday Night!!!!!

coverage across the whole MSM.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It will be interesting to hear what it was.

Last time (5+? years ago), it was failure of a supply cable, and the other redundant supplies had not been repaired after they had failed previously.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I'm guessing where you live does not have large number of theatres, cinemas, restaurants, bars and clubs :-)

Reply to
Scott

On Saturday, 26 November 2016 16:38:34 UTC, Scott wrote: >

I was on my motorbike on Regents Street when this was going on. Pavements w ere jammed with people as the tube was closed and people getting turfed out of theatres and cinemas. Cars jammed on the streets due to traffic lights working unpredictably. Quite a weird and scary atmosphere. I don't want to be around when the apocalypse comes, well not in Central London at least.

Clive

Reply to
clive.r.long

I thought the tube had separate power supply but I suppose that may just be for the trains, not the station lighting, escalators etc.

Reply to
Scott

It doesn't have a its own supply anymore, but it wasn't impacted this time - TFL said tube was running normally.

However, it was impacted last time - trains stopped in tunnels.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I know it doesn't have its own generating capacity but I thought it had its own feed from the National Grid.

Reply to
Scott

with respect, who doesn't?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Underground used to have its own power stations and distribution system. One assumes that even now they have emergency back up to get folk to safety though.

Its a fallacy that these never happen there, but over such a big area, it probably is very unusual. Certainly in years gone by say te 1980s I've been in Soho when several streets have blanked out for a couple of ours, upset the chinese no end it did.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A couple of years ago there was an epidemic (now hushed up) that wiped everyone out but this cameraman (and the traffic lights).

Miasmatic -short film-

There's tutorial info at the end on how it was "filmed".

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

En el artículo , Scott escribió:

Asylums generally tend not to have them.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

Fab, thanks for the link. I'm re-reading Stephen King's The Stand atm, so that really hit the spot.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Fair point :-)

Reply to
Scott

Those who feed from a DNO.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well that is a fine distinction indeed.

I would have said DNOs are part of the national grid, but perhaps not part of National Grid...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just people's homes.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Dog bites man, then.

Reply to
Scott

No wonder you trawl the meja looking for signs of BBC bias. etc. You must be bored out of your mind.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

TFl still own Greenwich and are modernising it so they so they won't depend totally on others.

Lots Road was the bigger station but that closed 2002 , and Neasdon back in 1968, with each closure the Underground depended more on the Grid. Greenwich even after reequipping won't be able to keep the whole system going.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg