Subject Author Posted Replies

Loo blue cage gone past U-bend :(
Yesterday SWMBO noticed the toilet was emptying slowly. Pressed for time, I quickly ran a coiled wire through the ubend, and seemed to clear it - water is going properly now. It was only today I...
25
25

USB Keyboard decals ?
I'm on my 3rd USB Microsoft Keyboard. The key decals keep wearing away ... Is there a way to re-ink them ? Alternatively, can anyone suggest a longer lived keyboard ?
14
14

USB Charger Amperage
I have just bought a 13amp socket with built in USB Charger and realise now that it is 3.1 amps. Will it fry my Samsung which specifies 2 amps?
24
24

PPE for Circular Sawing
I'm doing a lot of power sawing of conti-board which make an enormous amoun t of high speed 'hard' saw dust. Aswell as goggles and ear protection I now wear a respirator mask aswell. All these...
3
3

Bult in gas hob question
How standard, or not, are holes cut into worktops for gas hobs? Mine needs replacing, sadly I cannot access the hole to measure its size.
4
4

Parking - and Terraced housing
Parking in some arreas of terraced housing is a problem. Looking on Google Earth I see lots of back yards that are unloved and un-used. Has any town opened up the back gardens to provide off street...
30
30

Vaillant Code 3
Vaillant came out to fix a boiler under warranty. They changed a part (water pressure sensor) and issued a warning notice, saying "Your appliance has been fully tested and meets design specification....
4
4

treatment for "salt damp" on chimney breast?
What is the best treatment for "salt damp" caused by hygroscopic salts on a chimney breast? First, hack out the affected area of plaster and a good margin around it, and check the water isn't coming...
4
4

Diagnosing sticking motorised heating valve
If a motorised valve is making a buzzing noise and not opening the central heating pipe is that likely to be just the actuator that's gone? The manual override works OK. This is an intermittant fault....
11
11

A £450 FAUX COAL FIRE
23
23

Struggling to find 230 x 30 flat ducting for a kitchen renovation....
Redoing my daughter's kitchen in her new flat. I need to extend the ducting for the extractor as it'll be attached to the wall rather than ceiling mounted 350mm or so out from the wall. Ducting is...
6
6

Noisy central heating pump - cause?
We have a conventional CH system about 30-years old, i.e. gas boiler, water pump, and diverter value for radiators vs coil in hot-water tank. Over the last few days the pump has been making a lot more...
6
6

Thermostat modulation (and Megaflow / water hammer - follow-up)
Quick follow-up on my Megaflow/water-hammer issues (thanks to all who repli ed!) - I caught it yesterday morning at the critical moment, and heard it j ust start to hammer - followed by a small thunk...
1
1

Leaking electric kettle
My electric kettle leaks rather slowly. Enough so that a few teaspoons of water collect on the base overnight. Is there any way to seal round the element in the base? I can't see any leaks or...
16
16

Energy (gas especially) comparison table?
All I want is to see the cost/unit and daily cost for typical household bands of usage for a given region from various suppliers. I don't want to have to give my address, existing provider, email...
19
19