Subject Author Posted Replies

Washing machine no longer heats up water
It's a Zanussi ZWF 16581. I'm guessing that the heating element has gone, and replacing it will do the trick (is there any way to be sure without actually replacing it?). But, I am puzzled that it...
16
16

Ot: More tunes for UK.d-i-yers...
Pamela: For Harry: Whiskey Dave: Brian Gaff: You walk into the room with your pencil in your hand You see somebody naked and you say, "Who is that man?" You try so hard but you don't understand Just...
8
8

Removing nuts
I'm having trouble removing them, despite using spanners, hammer & blowtorc h. It's a 3 way momo heating valve. The nut I can't remove is on the unders ide of the thing, and access to it is terrible....
4
4

Megaflow drain
Megaflow tank in property cold water feed to tank turns both hot and cold supply to property , turned mains off to tank attached hose to drain valve opened it nothing came out , wot am I doing wrong ?
1
1

Power Supply to Garage
I will be replacing my rather leaky garage with a larger new one soon. This will leave 4' gap between the garage and house. The gap is a concrete pat h and between the house and garage I intend to...
39
39

Toilet cistern handle problem
The handle on our toilet is faulty. I cannot see an easy fix, thought this might be a good time to change is for the button type. I do not wish to change the actual cistern as unless it was exactly...
15
15

Ridged carpet fix?
I was let down by carpet fitters three times, with the carpet ready to fit stored in the garage ready for the hall/stairs/landing. Those who bothered to quote, made it not worth my while DIY'ing. Over...
4
4

Well that sucks
in a good way. The other day I ordered some vacuum hose[1] - I thought it might prove handy in the workshop since I often struggle with dust collection on hand held tools, since the normal shop vac...
3
3

Ink for Epson - Shake or not
Reading the instructions for changing the ink on a Epson printer I saw the instruction to Shake the black ink - but don't shake the coloured inks. If I knew why I would probably remember it correctly....
5
5

When sawboards go bad
So I cut a length off a full sheet of 3/4" MDF. Being too large to feed through my table saw I used my long sawboard[1]. Normally I am just breaking down a big sheet so I can machine it further, but...
7
7

Fitting a new cold water tank
Hi All it looks like our old cold water tank is leaking in the loft. I have got a drip tray under it and will be investigating further, but there is at least a possibility that a new tank will be...
13
13

Oil CH boiler ignition duration = how long should it keep sparking?
The oil CH boiler's a Worcester Danesmoor HPJU25OOO. It's nearly 20 years old, and has been 'professionally' serviced annually - and it has been fairly trouble free. About 6 months ago, it started...
12
12

Door chain for PVC front door
Last night at about 9PM in the dark there was a knock at the front door. People never seem to see the door bell. It was this dairy guy asking me if I'd like him to deliver milk. I politely asked him...
41
41

Photography question - LED lighting
I've got a lot of old photographs to digitise. The options are to scan or re-photograph, and a website on the topic suggests that for a lot of photos, re-photographing is quicker, and requiring less...
30
30

Why do Tescos auto checkout machines always give change in (almost) the smallest amounts possible 5+5+5+5 = 20
Why do Tescos auto checkout machines always give change in (almost) the smallest amounts possible 5+5+5+5 = 20
50
50