Door chain for PVC front door

Last night at about 9PM in the dark there was a knock at the front door. People never seem to see the door bell. It was this dairy guy asking me if I'd like him to deliver milk. I politely asked him if he could tell the time, he said "Sorry" and cleared off. If this had been 5 or 6 VERY big lads intent on no good I could have been in trouble, even though I'm a big guy.

Question is: Are these door chains that can be screwed into PVC doors and frames any good? I can't see the screws holding out against a good kick.

Thanks

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Google door restrainers.

What you want to consider is either a peep hole thingy or a video camera/audio link. You can get ones that bring up a picture on the TV. Plus a recorder if you want.

Reply to
harry

PVC frame will have steel structure somewhere behind it. You would need to drill and tap into that, or fit rivnuts, or perhaps steel pop rivets to get security. Not necessarily a trivial job unless you are fairly handy.

You are quite right, screws into PVC won't do much. Screws into wood will do very much better.

CCTV is becoming much more affordable (but not as cheap as a security chain, of course).

Reply to
newshound

We have a stout door chain on our front door. The fitting on the door itself has four screw-holes and the screws are self-tappers that go through the steel frame inside the PVC. The chain itself is screwed onto the door frame also with self-tappers. The chain is like this with a solid flat link in the middle.

I have total faith in it! Whether justified, I don't know; probably not, but not much would stop a determined effort to gain entry.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Door restrainers does not bring up very much. I think a peep hole could be an idea. A camera would blow my mind, I spent ages today working out why the telly was not pushing sound through the speakers! Thanks Harry.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

PVC frame will have steel structure somewhere behind it.

The somewhere is the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Its that steel frame thing and finding it. I just may give the company that fitted the door a ring. Better than me drilling holes all over the PVC.

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Peepholes are used by most elderly folk around here. I didn't think you were that old yet.

So, what if you came across 5 or 6 very big lads cycling on the pavement?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The PVC doors don't. You can stick your foot through them. Not burglar proof whatsoever.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Get one of those stud/wire/pipe detectors on Ebay for a tenner, it'll come in useful for other stuff. But don't buy the cheapest ones, they suck.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

As ALWAYS your contribution to this group and any other group is zero. The class clown you are and always will be. What a fool you really are.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I was being helpful (in the other replies). This one was poking fun at you, since you're a self admitted assaulter, yet you now fear people coming to your door. Worried someone might get their own back are you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Door chains are certainly low security, but definitely better than nothing. They do help in some situations where nothing else does, so are worth the trivial cost. Many invaders don't kick doors in. Door bars are a similar but tougher option.

If it's 6 large lads, just don't open the door.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Saying "who is it?" before unlocking the door works fine for a lot of old folk.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yup, they are useless unless you buy the very best, which are extremely expensive. Nothing like a sturdy wooden front door, IMO.

Reply to
Bod

I bought the best. Enjoy your pikey wooden door and the condensation running down the walls of your .............. caravan.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Yes, they are better than nothing. I rather think that not opening the door fully is better than having to take down 8 large lads.

Door chain I think it will be.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

A little magnet is a great help, although if you just position the door-fitting centrally on the door frame, you won't go far wrong.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

All decent houses have strong thick sturdy wooden doors (or aluminium). PVC is for council estates.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why are you scared of people I'm not?

Reply to