Garbage Disposal Advice

I'm giving it, not asking for it.

Whatever you do, please, please, please remember to knock out the plug on the dishwasher inlet before hooking up the DW.

SWMBO got seven kinds of bent when I forgot to do that on a new disposal install Sunday. After-dinner cleanup took a loooonnngg time. And guess who didn't help.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

I guess that's why they put that little booklet that says something like INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS in every box!!

Reply to
Mark

That's a one time mistake

Reply to
Sac Dave

Yes, I always read them when I'm finally done with the job.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

BTDT-- There is something perversely satisfying about sitting down with a relaxing beverage after a job is done and reading through the instructions. "Oh! that's how *they* thought I should get that whatchamacallit past the dooflopsus."

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I like the ones that are online, so I can d/l and browse them casually when I'm at the computer. Makes a big difference to have an overview of procedures and parts and whatnot.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

The nice part about doing that is you can do it ahead of time and get some idea of what is involved and eliminate surprises at the last minute when the hardware store is closed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember a few years ago I was replacing a furnace in a house that the owner was fixing up to sell. I think it had been a rental that he had owned for a while, but I'm not positive about that. Anyway, he saw my big shop vac and asked if he could borrow it. Said the dishwasher wouldn't drain and he wanted to empty it out to see what was wrong with it. I told him it was only for dry use, but that I had about 25' of clear 3/8 vinyl tubing and we could probably siphon it out since there was a door to the patio close to the d/w. Told him I would be glad to help him as soon as I finished with the furnace, and also told him about a goofy friend I have who loves to DIY and usually f---up two things while fixing one. Said the friend replaced his disposal and didn't knock out the plug and ruined the d/w. I got back to work on the install and about 15-20 minutes later the owner asked me if he could borrow a big flat blade screwdriver I had laying on the floor. Told him "sure" and went back to work. He brought it back to me a few minutes later. When I finally got through, I got the tubing and went to the d/w. It was empty. He said thanks but he had already taken care of it. Asked him what was wrong. He said "the plug in the new disposal I installed yesterday".

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

It was Step 16!!! Who reads Step 16?!?!?!

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner

But, but, I thought the accepted method was to ask how to install it here on AHR, get forty conflicting opinions, then pick the least probable ones.

Like a fool, I forgot to do that.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank J Warner