lift cable came off garage door, how do I rewind the cables back o the two end pullys?

I have no experience with torsion bar on my garage door. My other house had lift springs which was pretty eaisy to fix. My wife backed out of the garage and pushed the door in and the cable came off. What a loud noise that was. the cables wraped around the end pullys, no tension now.!! My question is how do i reset the tention, lift the door up all the way to re wrap the cable around the end pullys? What is the best way to do this, The garage door is 8ft wide 7ft high. any advise would be great. Thanks Kell

Reply to
kell

Call a door guy. No, really. Those torsion springs can be incredibly dangerous to tension.

I do my own plumbing, electrical, virtually all types of home improvement. I've fixed my own appliances. I even moved a gas line once. I won't touch the garage door springs.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

Kell-

Here are some comments lifted from replies to this sort of question in the past

this newsgroup, including me, will emphatically warn you NOT to do this yourself.

But, if you insist, at least go here and study, study, study before you start:

Jeffry Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Reply to
BobK207

Ya know I used to think that anyone could fix garage doors and truely thought it wasn't that big a deal. HOWEVER yesterday I went over to the neighbors house, and helped him with his door...and was pretty shocked to see a huge gash in the ceiling.

Well being of the curious type...I asked what happened...and he said the cable came off the garage door. After talking with him more, I found out removed the bottom roller bracket while it was under tension. You guessed it...all hell broke loose and the ceiling now has a hole in it. Man I would of hated to have been there when that happened.

I used to advocate to anyone to fix their own...no more. DAGS and determine if you have the skills necessary. Look for your model's owners manual, if you can't fine it, look for one that in the same family and you can determine if you have the skills necessary to re-set the door. By the way...no you don't just push the door up and end up with a working door.

Seriously I wish you the best, and for gods sake please be careful.

DAC

Reply to
DAC

The best toolkit for this job is the Yellow Pages and a MasterCard.

Seriously.

Unless you know *exactly* what you're doing -- and, no offense meant, you don't, or you would just do it, instead of asking here -- this can be *very* dangerous.

Call a garage door pro. Please.

Reply to
Doug Miller

As others have said, call a garage door service company. The torsion spring type doors in particular are very very easy to seriously injure your self working on. I fixed mine myself, but I was extremely careful and didn't enjoy it one bit. Working the tensioning bars while standing on a ladder feels a bit like juggling hand grenades with loose pins just waiting for one to go off.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I read the info at this site, talked with one of the suppliers he recommended in Atlanta, met him at a shopping mall, bought and installed the springs all in one day. All I needed to purchase was the pair of winding rods, which I needed anyway since I had just bought three sectional doors for my new shop that I was about to install. The repair of the first door, and the installation of the next three couldn't have gone more smoothly. A helper might have been beneficial, but not necessary.

Reply to
Anonymous