Garage door lift cable

Hi,

Door lift cable got kinked and I'm replacing it. The door is good 20 years at least, maybe more.

New cable does not have a reinforcement in the loop attaching to the door itself.

This make the cable rubbing on the pin. In the old cable the bearing surface was between the pin on the door bracket and the small (1in dia) insert in the cable loop.

Seems the old design was better. Anyone look at this bit lately?

RichK

Reply to
RichK

About ten years ago when the spring broke on our garage door the guy that fixed it also replaced the cables and did not use cables with the correct kind of loop. A year ago when the spring broke again the guy fixing it showed me how the cables had been rubbing where they shouldn't and one of them had half the strands broken. He replaced with the correct kind of cables. He also adjusted the spring carefully and showed me how smoothly the door moved when it was disconnected from the opener. Considering the force on the cables, etc. this is worth having a professional do it right.

Reply to
Jeff

As I suspected.

I do not find these at HD or local hardware store. Mabye I have not looked enough.

You may have a torsion spring. Mine is extension, which is not as bad to replace.

Rich

Reply to
RichK

You are correct. I would be much more inclined to fix a stretch spring type myself.

Reply to
Jeff

Are you referring to the ferrule, I think it is called?

They sell those separately, near the wire cable. (Even if that isn't the right name)

Maybe you could buy one, trim it if necessary, and put it in the new cable.

Reply to
mm

It may very well be called that. But that's closer to what is normally used to "line" the cable in the looped end.

The the old lift cable, actually has a ferrule in the shape of small sheeve with a 1/4" hole in it, where a small pin goes. This small sheeve looks like a plastic insert in the old 300ohm TV cable standoff, where the cable went through the center.

Perhaps in new door designs, that small sheeve is part of the door hardware, not the cable, hence all the cables just have a larger loop at the end.

Otherwise, I would hope there would at least be a ferrule on the new cable.

The attachment point of the cable on the door is in a place, where you almost can't see it, without first removing the bracket. It's right on the corner of the door.

I may have to use a ferrule - that was a good hint. Another department in the H/W store :-)

Thanks Much,

RichK

Reply to
RichK

It may very well be called that. But ferrule is closer to what is normally used to "line" the cable in the looped end.

The old lift cable, actually has a small sheeve with a 1/4" hole in it, where a small pin goes. This small sheeve looks like a plastic insert in the old 300ohm TV cable standoff, where the cable went through the center.

Perhaps in new door designs, that small sheeve is part of the door hardware, not the cable, hence all the cables just have a larger loop at the end.

Otherwise, I would hope there would at least be a ferrule on the new cable.

The attachment point of the cable on the door is in a place, where you almost can't see it, without first removing the bracket. It's right on the corner of the door.

I may have to use a ferrule - that was a good hint. Another department in the H/W store :-)

Thanks Much,

RichK

Definition:

A ferrule (from Latin viriola, meaning little bracelet) is a ring or cap attached to an object to protect against damage, splitting, or wear. In fiber optic, a ferrule is a component (usually a rigid tube) used to align and protect the stripped end of a fiber.