Broken garage door cable

We just closed the door on our two car garage and it looks like one of the cables that is attached to the maim coiled spring napped in the process. I think the door closed too fast and and is now crooked in the track. After disconnecting the electric opener, we still haven't been able to open the door manually. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the car is stuck inside, and needless to say we need it tomorrow. We are planning on calling a professional to repair the spring, but is there a way to get the door properly seated on the track again so it can be opened to get the car out?

tia drew

Reply to
Drew B.

If your door is stuck because it is crooked, try getting it uncrooked. Lift the lower part a little bit up with like a gorilla bar. Another person would also simultaneously start lifting the door up y the middle handle, with the first person helping on the side without the spring. It may be hard. Do not apply excessive force with the gorilla bar.

Ignoramus22481

Spring or cable or both or what?

Do not try to lift the door while it is broken. It should be fixed first, in the down position. My page:

Richard J Kinch

I think you may just have no clue about how heavy that door is without the torsion spring(s) pulling on it. Crowbars, 4 x 4 timbers, and jacks all come to mind to move the door if it is an insulated or wooden double wide door.

The cable drum on the unbroken side may have that cable in a knot or be jambed. You will still need to unweight the door and lock it in location to mess with the cable. If this is a torsion spring door (I'm sure it must be) be very careful with the spring - basically, do not touch the spring or any of the bolts having to do with the spring unless you know how to work on them and it does not sound as if you do.

DanG

I have a thick wooden garage door. One of the springs broke. I was able to get the door in the up position just by brute force. Furthermore, I would close and open it for the night for a few days.

Now, if two springs were malfunctioning, and not one as it was the case, it would be incredibly difficult.

Ignoramus22481

With one cable on & the other off or broke you won't be able to get the door to stay level again without fixing the cable or removing tension on the spring (I don't recommend that you mess w/ the springs). Forcing the door open may damage the track & the door could literally fall unto you or the car which would not be a good thing. You should really leave the door in whatever position it is in until it is repaired. It will be faster & therefore cheaper for someone to fix. Doordoc

doordoc

Maybe you could straighten it out a bit with the help of some of the neighbors/friends and get your car out...then it won't be an emergency and you can find a good contractor to solve your problem.....best of luck ...Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

How about using a come-along to lift on the side of the door that needs help? Lots safer than standing with toes, hernias, etc., ready to be clobbered. Maybe a come-along on each side so once it's movable, you can continue to lift the door til the car can get out. Then lower it the same way. If a spring is broken, you shouldn't try to use the opener itself to lift the door.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Hey Pop, I think you misquoted....the above isn't mine...take care, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Ross Mac wrote: ...

Oops! Sorry about that.