Door chain for PVC front door

Why are you so frightened to open your front door?

Reply to
Bod

Wooden doors are for very old inefficient caravans. PVC is for modern homes. Do you really have a wooden front door?

Aluminum?

"Whats a joist"? (Peter Hucker)

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

He must be scared because he arms himself with chisel as well.

Reply to
Bod

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Every local cyclist wants revenge.

Rather pathetic isn't it? Someone over 6 foot tall scared of a few youths.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, nice posh houses round here worth =A3400,000 have wooden doors. I o= nly see PVC in council estates.

PVC is cheap shit.

Yes, and its far more sturdy than plastic.

No, aluminium you silly American. Have you never seen such a door, they= are posher than you could afford.

A thinner beam.

-- =

I lost the trivia contest at the church social last night by one point. The last question was: "Where do most women have curly hair?" Apparently the correct answer is "Africa". I've been asked to find another placed to worship....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

"I spent ages getting the sound out of my tv" [Mr Pounder]

Reply to
Bod

Don't be so cruel, TV is a modern invention. Anything more than a wireless confuses the poor old man. Why do you think he still runs XP?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yip. I'm no good at that sort of thing. But, I did it without help.

5.1 surround sound on a new telly. I suspect that Mrs Pounder Esquire has been pushing buttons. Stupid television!
Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Just what are you good at?

A woman should never be allowed to operate anything technical.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, we recently bought a 50" UHD TV as well. I bought a sound bar this time because the last time we had surround sound the sound got a bit irritating on certain programs.

Reply to
Bod

How is surround sound irritating? It's more realistic. I've always had several speakers for TV.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Mr Pounder Esquire explained on 05/02/2017 :

Small metal detector?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Only on *some* programs, but this was 13 years ago. Maybe they are much better now.

Reply to
Bod

I heard my friend's surround system about 20 years ago. It was extremely realistic.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Rare earth magnet will localise it better. IME the only good way to do it is to explore with a small drill, and hope you can conceal "misses". This was what I did when fitting a stair gate hinge for son-in-law. In that case I was happy that self tappers (in shear) would be strong enough.

Reply to
newshound

Couldn't you spell neodymium? :-)

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Never unlock the door unless you are certain of the caller's identity and intent.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Never mind door chains this aspect of human behaviour seems to be becoming a problem. I have fitted a large box with a large button on it which is the front end of my door phone. People complained before they could not see I had a bell and knocked. Nobody can miss this one, but they still knock. The big problem with these cordless intercoms is you cannot open the conversation from inside since the bell button has to be pressed to turn on the outside tx/rx part to save batteries. I did have an old wired one but that did at least work both ways until some herbert bashed the bell so hard it broke off inside the speaker box. My current idea is to resurect the old system but just have it as an intercom controlled from inside to sort out the knocking brigade. I have a nice little horn speaker I might fit over the door. It will need a capacitor in series with it though since the bell part of this old intercom is operated by shorting out the intercom wire.. I don't want two bells in any case the cordless one is for summer incase i get some time to go into my garden! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A few episodes of "won't pay we'll take it away" will show you how bailiffs can force an entry if necessary. A good deterrent seems to be a noisy terrier! In the end of course, better to come to some arrangement to pay your debts!

Reply to
mechanic