Who actually owns this 1,000 gallon propane tank?

Page 8 of 12
I might have missed it. Is there some reason you don't just keep hiring the existing company to fill your propane? What's the big ownership question? Are they far too expensive?
On 9/27/2013 8:18 AM, Alex Gunderson wrote:

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 08:39:40 -0400, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Good question. I'm actually happy with the existing company.
The only thing that 'may' change is they may charge a rental fee (which, over time, would, at some point, exceed the cost of the tank) and they may charge a higher rate for the propane.
Plus, I can no longer shop around and go to someone else for propane (who may have a lower cost).
Given that there are 1,000 gallons, even a minor 50 cent difference in price could make a large difference (over time) in total ownership cost.
On Friday, September 27, 2013 10:37:24 AM UTC-4, Alex Gunderson wrote:

Then it would seem that when and if another supplier offers a price that justifies switching, that would be the time to incur all the trouble. But you told us the current company was the lowest cost one, no? So, why not just keep doing what you've been doing?
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:53:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Exactly what I *am* doing.
Until/unless there is a reason to change.
However, *if* the company approaches me, I want to have my ducks lined up, since it takes TIME to figure out the correct arguments based on the data.
For example, when I get home, I will act on the tip to contact the manufacturer of the tank to see who *they* sold the original tank to.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 23:07:37 +0000 (UTC), Alex Gunderson

Do you think they're going to demand it back *today*?

Who they sold it to is pretty much irrelevant. They have to show that they still own it. THEN figure out how you want to deal with it. You're just borrowing trouble.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 22:40:51 -0400, krw wrote:

You're right. I already told them way too much. I should have just kept my mouth shut when the guy had the serial number.
Sigh.
And, if they ever find this thread ...
On 9/27/2013 7:37 AM, Alex Gunderson wrote:

that frequently happens in my area, and it's frequently over $1/gallon difference. i generally call 4 when i get a tank fill, and can save hundreds of dollars.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 08:14:40 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

This table of the prices charged in my area goes back to 1999: http://www.southskyline.org/spug.html
The charges between suppliers can vary by as much as 50 cents or more, which, for a 1,000 gallon fillup, isn't chump change.

Yes you can. Go with a new company and they will either continue filling the tank you have or rent you another; in the latter case the owner (not you) of the current tank is supposed to come and het their tank. If they don't you are back in ther situation tanksise that you are now but ther is nothing stopping you from switching companies.
And if anyone ever has the temerity to try to charge you past rent for the existing tank, tell them to take a hike.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:38:56 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

I can't faithfully do that if I believe the tank to be owned by someone else.
Out here, they will NOT fill a third party tank.
They will only fill it if you prove it's yours, either by a bill of sale or by an affidavit.

If they even will sell you one. Many will not so they have you dependent on them for fuel. You will have to find one and have it installed yourself in some areas. As mentioned before, propane dealers can make used car salesmen and lawyers look good.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

CA being earthquake prone place, reg. could be different regarding stationary tanks. Anyway up here in Alberta I have a little cabin way out in the wilderness but I have NG hook up. Gas company ran line to this neck of wood in anticipation of people building cabins ahead of time. We have power, NG, only water is depend on drilled well.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 08:25:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

That's exactly what I'm scoping out.
It looks like I may need to: a. Buy the tank & have it delivered empty b. Lay a reinforced concrete pad, with tie-down bolts c. Trench 12" deep for a minimum of 25' from the house d. Lay conduit & metal guide wire e. Add risers for the high & low pressure regulator
The propane company apparently owns the equipment from the riser to the tank (which includes the regulators).

Around here - central Florida - such tanks are generally owned by the company providing the gas; they may or may not charge an annual fee for its use. However, if one changes gas provider, the previous company has 30 days to come get their tank; if they don't then it is bye-bye tank for them.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:37:07 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Out here, in California, all the propane companies will deliver a tank for free and let you rent it from them for a monthly fee.
However, the propane company I use will fill only two types of tanks: 1. Their tank 2. Your tank
They told me they own the connections from the regulators to the tank, including the regulators themselves. I can own everything else, on both sides of those connections.
So, I'm scoping this out as we speak.
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 07:37:07 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

Aha! That's the abandonment clause.
That's the one thing I'm unsure of, out here, for California.
I found THIS legal site, but it doesn't seem to cover that topic.
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=puc&group 001-05000&fileD51-4465

If it were me, I'd consider the tank mine. Consider...
1. Previous owner bought gas from Company A. Tank was either the previous owner's or rented from Company A (probable).
2. House was sold, you start buying LPG from Company B. Company A *knows* they are no longer delivering gas, should have picked up tank if it was theirs. They did not so either it was not theirs or they abandoned it. In either case, I would now consider it mine; if someone asked to see a bill of sale, I'd tell them it is none of their business and/or came with the house.
Paint it a pretty color, stencil your name on it and enjoy. Need I mention that when you paint it you shouldn't sand or do anything else that could cause sparks?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:12:20 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

This makes a lot of sense!
It's not like the company A didn't know where to find the tank.
And, since it's needed for heating & cooking & hot water, company A must have known *someone* was filling it up over all these years.
I'm *assuming* that there is no legal way for them to come and get it (without my permission); but even then, they could have simply sent me a letter *asking* for permission to come and take their tank. Right?
They never did that. I've had no contact with them whatsoever.
On 9/27/2013 4:12 PM, Alex Gunderson wrote:

not if the house was not lived in, and unless they drove by and checked, they can't tell that.

sure. otherwise car repo's wouldn't be able to occur when it's parked on the driveway.

On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 11:55:02 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

That's a good point.
I called the supposed original owner, Suburban Propane, who said they never had a tank at my location - and they said they never sold anything to the Heritage Group whom Amerigas bought.
But, they did say that, if someone doesn't pay their bill, they have an easement in the contract that allows them to drive on the property to take the tank back.
This is apparently the Amerigas lease terms: http://www.amerigas.com/residential/pay_billing_terms.htm
Here are the pros and cons of tank ownership: http://www.amerigas.com/amerigas-propane-blog/residential-propane/the-pros-and-cons-of-tank-ownership/