Square D electrical panel question

Page 10 of 15

Yup, it is like the pool pump rules here. They want 2 speed, or multiple speed pumps when the reality is as soon as you get the required water turnover, you can just turn the pump off. Mine is on a 6 hour a day timer and it stays blue.

The price we pay for 120v.

It is an issue but not serious enough to require fused plugs. I suspect it will be a reality some day. They have made 18 ga cords illegal tho and a 16 ga cord will run quite a while on 15a without getting that hot. 14ga is limited by code to 15a but the real ampacity is 20 (we don't tell people that tho)

My wife is the safety officer at her place and she would just make you get down ... as a condition of your employment. It is all about lawyers. They let them advertise on TV and you see ads like "did you get hurt doing something incredibly stupid, We can get you money. Call Dewey Cheatum and Howe".

It is just the way the law is written. Most of the outlets are 120v as is most of the portable equipment.

As someone else pointed out, the process takes longer than that, no matter how fast you can actually boil the water. The real coffee nuts will say "boiling" is too hot for coffee anyway, hence our drip machines.

You would have to bring your equipment with you. We don't have much 240v stuff except for fixed in place equipment.

I guess we usually learn how to shoot with both hands

Where does your ground cable go? To the neutral bar, or to the ground bar?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 4:20:56 PM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Asked and answered.
PITA
On Saturday, March 12, 2016 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The difference is that you can run it twice as long at half the pump spped, move the same amount of water, and it saves a substantial amount of electricity used. The pump power goes up as the cube of the speed.
On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 06:15:03 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

It is all about how you size the pump. The vacuum will not run if the speed is too low. My neighbor has one of those computer controlled variable speed pumps and he had to add a timer to manually cycle it on to bypass the automatic features.,

And the owner pays for the electricity so it's nobody's business but theirs.
--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.

Fuck them, buy two pumps.
--
Police cordoned off Liverpool City Centre this morning when a suspicious object was discovered in a car.
It later turned out to be a tax disc.

What about a bedside lamp? What cable does that use and is it fused at the plug?

Oh I was told not to do things, but I just disobeyed. If they want me to work there, they have to let me do it my way. Anyway, they all knew I was completely against childish lawsuit shit and would never have sued them. I take responsibility for my own actions.

Lets make the safe things safer and to hell with the dangerous things?

Not for instant. You boil the water stir in the powder and add milk.

Never heard of Ebay?

Really? Surely shooting a gun accurately is like swinging a golf club, you learn to do it one way round.
--
A government survey has shown that 91% of illegal immigrants come to this country so that they can see their own doctor.

The NEC differentiates between over current (short circuit) and overload (continuous loads exceeding the capability of the wire) An 18ga lamp cord is sufficient to handle the largest lamp that will fit in the socket and it will still hold up long enough to operate a 20a over current device in the case of a short circuit. There is no fuse in the plug. It certainly would be easy to make the case that all extension cords (14ga or less) should have fuses since the manufacturer has no control over the load but that case has not been made.

... but you still end up with a cup of nasty coffee. Instant can't compete with fresh brewed.

There is nothing in the code that prevents you from installing 240 v receptacles everywhere but they are not really that common here.

Serious shooters will usually learn to shoot well with either hand but one will always be referred to as the "weak hand". When I am training at the range I usually do both although it is clear my left is the weak one.
On 3/6/2016 11:32 AM, trader_4 wrote:

I've seen 220 or 240 volt outlets for through the wall AC. 12,000 BTU per hour and larger, most often.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

They DO exist, but are very uncommon.
On 3/6/2016 6:44 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

i MOSTLY see them in APARTMENTS. Oddly ENOUGH, some PEOPLE think that 220 VAC is CHEAPER, but in the USA we pay for WATTS, which is equal for SIMILAR equipment usage.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

You use BTU as a measurement? That's "BRITISH thermal unit", something we used to use for gas, now it's in kWh, the same as electricity always has been.
That's 3517W. Our 230V sockets are 13A, which is 2990W. Although I get about 246V here, so it's more like 3198W. One of the reasons I use a UPS for my lighting, so the bulbs don't wear out. My voltage is from 241V to 255V. It's supposed to be 230V. I complained, but they're not obliged to fix anything under 10% over.
My electric cooker has a 30A connection, which is 6kW. My shower has a 60A outlet, so I could theoretically put in a 14kW shower. I've seen Honda advertise 80A outlets for your wall to fast charge their electric cars.
--
Q: Why can't you have a Jewish Morris dancer?
A: Because you have to be a complete prick to be a Morris dancer.

We don't really have that much 240v equipment and most is fixed in place. The required outlets are all 120v

In the case of receptacle spacing, the safety thing is limiting the number of extension cords used and making it unnecessary to string cords across openings. There are plenty of people who say we have allowed too many things into the code that are not safety related. Manufacturers have a lot of influence in the code process.

120v equipment is pretty much limited to 1440w. Irons seem to function just fine at 1kw or less and we don't really drink that much tea. I am not sure you can even buy a dedicated tea kettle here. People boil water on the stove where they have plenty of power. We really try to avoid the use of portable heaters by having robust central systems but there are still plenty of 1440w heaters around. They cause a disproportionate number of the fires, usually in older homes with bad electrical systems.

Pumping and heating water, cooking, heat and A/C, running a spa and a pool. It starts adding up fast I guess Heat is not really an issue but when we do it we have toaster wire heaters. I have not had the central heat on in a couple of years but we do have a 1440w "electric fireplace" in the living room that my wife uses on cold mornings for a little warm up.

I imagine you have a tad more in taxes but we also use natural gas for electrical generation and that is pretty cheap here.
On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 11:41:24 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

They are actually readily available. Most places that sell toaster, mixers, coffee makers, etc should have them. They are called electric kettles. I'd post a link, but it's too long. I have one, very handy, use it to make coffee every morning. But then I use a French press to make coffee, most people probably use a coffee maker.

Long links work fine. Some computers fuck up and wrap them, but you can piece it back together.

Most people in the UK use a kettle and instant powdered coffee. We're too lazy to use a percolator and beans.
--
If you had to identify, in one word, the reason why the human race has not achieved, and never will achieve, its full potential, that word would be "meetings."

Coffee has been elevated to it's own food group here and people will pay more for a cup of coffee than a beer. I am OK with regular drip coffee tho. I haven't seen perked coffee in years. I probably drink a liter or so a day.

And where does your ground wire go, where it comes in from the pole?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I find coffee and tea tasteless. I like hot chocolate, fruit juice, and anything alcoholic.
--
Man who walk through turnstyle sideways going to bangkok!

Put a shot of Baileys in that coffee.