Square D electrical panel question

Why not?

I held on for a few seconds until I realised why my hand was getting very warm inside. It wasn't painful, just weird.

It was the classic dare at primary school. All little handheld games ran on those at that time.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

What is this fuss about ground and neutral? They are one and the same here. Neutral is strapped to ground at the transformer.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

To disconnect the wire between the meter and fusebox here, I simply pull out the master fuse next to the meter.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Never happens in the UK, maybe you need more land mass?

-- =

Hello, you have reached technical support. Please dial 1 to report an issue, 2 to report a challenge, 3 to report a= problem, or 4 to report a cockup.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

You have superconductors there? Cool. Here we have voltage drop on our conductors and the farther you get from the place where the neutral is bonded, the higher the voltage is on the neutral.

Reply to
gfretwell

You have that backward, your weather is very temperate because you live on a fairly small island surrounded by water and no real mountains. There is not much there to vary your weather. It you just chose one state in the US, Arizona, (itself larger than all of UK, including Ireland) you would have deserts where the temperature is well over 50-55c and mountains 4 times the height of your "Highlands" where -30-40c is not uncommon. When you have the jet stream sweeping over a 3000 mile land mass, the weather is a lot more variable than a place where the wind is coming across 3000 miles of somewhat stable ocean water temperatures. Then you get down where I am and the weather is tropical, a whole different breed of cat. Hurricanes and tornadoes get most of the attention but the typical summer thunderstorm still scares most European tourists. They tend not to be here in the summer tho. Tourist visas are only good for 6 months and most choose the winter months.

Reply to
gfretwell

The bloody EU is trying to limit the wattage of vacuum cleaners and hairdryers in the interest of carbon bullshit. What a bunch of loonies.

Ours don't get warm. My vacuum that uses 1000W at 230V is an 8A flex.

Mine exploded. I used it to hoover up damp mess from a parrot aviary.

So all cords you plug in can take the full 15A of the breaker in the box then? If not, they should be fused. Especially an extension cord with more than one socket on the end.

I almost gave the "health and softy officer" at my last place of work a heart attack many times. To reach the ceiling to change the bulb in a projector, I placed 9 square desks in a 3x3 arrangement, 2x2 on that, then 1 on that. Then I climbed the pyramid and changed the bulb. She happened to walk in while I was doing it and said "I didn't see that!" then ran off. When she discovered I'd climbed onto the sloped roof of the two storey building to adjust a satellite dish for internet reception after strong winds, she almost cried.

Er..... you need to GFCI a low voltage but not the more dangerous 240?!

Yes, but the time taken from switching it on to getting the first cup of coffee would piss me off. I want it ready within 30 seconds of me wanting it.

I would accept that if you ONLY had 120V. But since you have the 240V available, why not use it? If I moved there, I'd likely change every damn outlet to 240V.

Isn't it historical to do with knights and holding swords?

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Never heard of instant coffee? Boil water, add a spoon of powder, stir, add milk.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Make it de-caf, and add home made creamer, for me.

Reply to
Muggles

Yup, it is like the pool pump rules here. They want 2 speed, or multiple speed pumps when the reality is as soon as you get the required water turnover, you can just turn the pump off. Mine is on a 6 hour a day timer and it stays blue.

The price we pay for 120v.

It is an issue but not serious enough to require fused plugs. I suspect it will be a reality some day. They have made 18 ga cords illegal tho and a 16 ga cord will run quite a while on 15a without getting that hot.

14ga is limited by code to 15a but the real ampacity is 20 (we don't tell people that tho)

My wife is the safety officer at her place and she would just make you get down ... as a condition of your employment. It is all about lawyers. They let them advertise on TV and you see ads like "did you get hurt doing something incredibly stupid, We can get you money. Call Dewey Cheatum and Howe".

It is just the way the law is written. Most of the outlets are 120v as is most of the portable equipment.

As someone else pointed out, the process takes longer than that, no matter how fast you can actually boil the water. The real coffee nuts will say "boiling" is too hot for coffee anyway, hence our drip machines.

You would have to bring your equipment with you. We don't have much

240v stuff except for fixed in place equipment.

I guess we usually learn how to shoot with both hands

Reply to
gfretwell

Nobody needs a coat. Humans are warm blooded.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

And because we're warm blooded we get cold when the temps drop. Many people don't like being cold, and while we don't need a coat, it's a good idea to add additional clothing so we don't freeze.

Do you have a coat, or do you layer?

Reply to
Muggles

All those temperatures are way too warm for me. 20 is the maximum I want to sit still in water. 15 if I'm swimming. Maximum. There is no minimum.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

Public transport sux :-)

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I find coffee and tea tasteless. I like hot chocolate, fruit juice, and anything alcoholic.

Reply to
Mr Macaw

I tried to look up NEMA earlier, there seem to be about 10 different sockets for different currents. Do you have them all in use?

How is the DIY I do in my house on public record if nobody is told I did it?

The only sensible reasoning is that the law should never protect somebody from themselves, only from other people.

Reply to
Mr Macaw
[snip]

I never liked hot drinks very much. Lip and tongue pain doesn't seem that enjoyable.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

Whenever I hear someone say "coat", it almost sounds like a dirty word. The result of EXCESSIVE inappropriate "put on a coat" as a child.

It doesn't get very cold here, maybe below freezing occasionally. In the fall stores are still full of coats that might be appropriate if you walk around a lot in Alaska. And I suppose parents are still insisting on kids wearing them.

I don't really know, but suspect many people lose a lot of their body-heat-generating capacity as a result of wearing coats when they shouldn't.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Where do you put your ground cable from the pole?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where does your ground cable go? To the neutral bar, or to the ground bar?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon