Square D electrical panel question

Page 7 of 15
On 3/6/2016 12:07 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Should you move the ground leg to the ground bar if the panel is permanant press?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Putting your electrical panel into a washer while it's live is considered a bad idea.
--
Sexy Sharon's sister saw saucy Sally swiftly suck seventy six soldiers sons.

Maybe if I shopped somewhere more upmarket, but I buy my clothes form a supermarket. But I've never heard anyone mention "permanent press" to me or that they don't iron. I have heard of the phrase "permanent press", but I thought it was something fancy for a suit.
I don't actually iron myself, I just leave the creases in :-) Sometimes people make comment.

Is there a colour code on the socket so you know which ones to use?

It was pointed out to me by an American in another newsgroup, who claimed that all houses were like that.

It's usually the earth leakage ones that trip.
And the current limiting ones can trip in an office if you have 20 computers connected up. It's impossible to plug them all in at once, due to the inrush current of the power supplies.

Then sell to a less fussy buyer. I never had my house inspected when I moved here. I really don't care for petty rules.

Why worry about the unlikely? Do you also have a nuclear fallout shelter?

Easy enough to detect a leak, by bubbles on some soapy water where you made the joint, or by a smell afterwards. Those new plastic fittings are brilliant, no tools needed, no chance of a leak.

Seriously?!? Between FRIENDS?!?! That's beyond a joke.

You can here, but rentals are required to have a periodical check, can't remember how often. It's just simple tests, for example my neighbour has two rentals and he was told one of the lights wasn't earthed. On the bloody ceiling! Now the story goes it was a light fitting which you couldn't earth, as a lot of it was plastic. But the stupid testing guy insisted he got an earth pass on his equipment. My neighbour rigged up a crocodile clip to earth the part of the lamp he was testing, and the meter said "pass". He got the certificate.

No, your country is worse. You have more lawyers. Unfortunately we are beginning to copy you. The only place worse thn the USA ius Australia. You can be prosecuted for cycling without a helmet, or walking along the wrong side of a country road!
--
Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.

This is probably what they mean http://tinyurl.com/jbqkpnh
It is a NEMA 5-15p and 6-15p on the same yoke

This is really getting easier for home inspectors and insurance companies since these are public records on the county web site in more places these days.

I noticed the Qiwis are pretty well regulated too, until they aren't. It is always strange what countries think are too dangerous for the populace and what isn't.

What I saw in an old apartment probably looked like that, except for no ground holes.
How would that be wired?
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

I would bring a 14/3 romex into the box. The 120 would get a black and white, the 240 a red and black. I believe in that receptacle the black side screws are tied common.

wire on the third, with the bare wire to the ground terminal. The 120 volt outlet sees the black and white plus ground, the 240 gets the black and red plus ground.

I tried to look up NEMA earlier, there seem to be about 10 different sockets for different currents. Do you have them all in use?

How is the DIY I do in my house on public record if nobody is told I did it?

The only sensible reasoning is that the law should never protect somebody from themselves, only from other people.
--
Harry Carpenter at the Oxford-Cambridge boat race 1977 - "Ah, isn't that nice. The wife of the Cambridge President is kissing the Cox of the Oxford crew."

On 03/12/2016 02:22 PM, Mr Macaw wrote:
[snip]

There's a lot more, for different voltages including 125, 250, 277, 347, 480, and 600 volts with and without ground, and different currents.
And that's before you get to twist-lock and 3-phase wye and delta.
[snip]
--
"I thank God I was raised Catholic, so sex will always be dirty" [John
Waters]

How many are you likely to find in houses? (Including older houses and newer ones).
--
Take notice: when this sign is under water, this road is impassable.

In residential you will run into six 240v receptacles 6-15 6-20 10-30 14-30 10-50 14-50
Two 120v 5-15 6-15 3 in you include real old homes 1-15
It is possible to see a few others but not usual. 6-30 if they have a welder or big shop equipment TT-30 if they have an RV (caravan)
Once you get to commercial, you could see anything including a lot that do not have NEMA numbers (Russell Stoll, IEC etc)

up in a town of about 20,000 and lived about 8 blocks from the middle of town. House was about 1000 sq ft of living and another 200 feet of unheated space. The other houses were somewhat larger and of town. Now have about 2000 sqft on 3 acers. All had plenty of space for the water heater. I could see it in apartment houses. Have not been in any of the large cities but would think they would have a large tank or two for the building.

The material is permanent press. You just take the warm cloths out of the dryer and hang them up. Just don't let them get cold in the dryer. If you do they will have all kinds of wrinkles in them. You can dampen them and run the dryer for a short time if this hapens.

Some rooms will be fed by 2 circuits. Especially the kitchen area where one might want to run the instant coffee pot and toaster or microwave at the same time.

Most outlets are the double kind,but are wired to the same breaker so only a total of 15 amps can be used. The outside one I mentioned that I put in was wired so each side could actually get 30 amps at 120 volts or there is a 240 volt outlet in the same box good for 30 amps. They are all connected to the same breaker so the total of 120 and 240 can only be 30 amps.

Some of the code is way above ,but guess the government is trying to prevent people from doing stupid things. They are regulating how hot the coffee can be in restraunts now. Seems that a while aback someone got some hot coffee at a drive through and spilled it on their selves and got burnt and sued and won about 5 or 6 million dollars for that.

That was the main reason, Make it so I could use my gasoline powered 5 kw generator to power part of the house if the power is out.
On Sun, 6 Mar 2016 12:20:17 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"

McDonalds appealed and the payment was significantly reduced, with the woman eventually recieving $640,000.

On Sunday, March 6, 2016 at 6:38:12 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And there were extenuating circumstances too. The plaintiff showed that McDonalds knew for a long time that their coffee was far hotter than coffee at similar places, dangerously hot, etc and did nothing about it. It was so hot that it melted the nylon the woman was wearing, as I recall.

It can't be more than boiling point. Most people boil the water for their coffee. There is no excuse for the woman being so stupid.
--
How many potheads does it take to change a light bulb?
Two. One to hold the bulb against the socket, and the other to smoke up until the room starts spinning.
On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:14:22 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

The correct brewing temp for coffee is ~200F. That's brewing temp, not serving temp. Serving temp varies from place to place, but IDK any place here that serves it anywhere close to boiling, ~160 - 170F seems to be a typical serving temp. McDonalds was *serving* it at around 200, as I recall. And how was the woman stupid? She bought the coffee at a McDonald;s drive-thru. It accidentally spilled. If she's stupid for buying coffee at their drive-thru, then McD is stupid for selling it at their drive-thru. And it was shown that McD knew that it was exceptionally hot, the woman did not.

So what, all are hot enough to burn you, which is why I don't understand peopledrinking hot coffe. I always have to wait about 10-15 minutes before I can drink it.

She picked up a cup of something and couldn't tell what temperature it was? She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This fuckwit must have thought she'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even better drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Slowly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other people like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have failed immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might match the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laughing stock of our planet.
--
Women are not served here. You have to bring your own.

On 10/03/2016 14:53, Mr Macaw wrote:

Spilling coffee down yourself is your own fault, unless the server threw it at the customer of course. People should take responsibility for their own actions.
--
Bod

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 at 9:54:07 AM UTC-5, Mr Macaw wrote:

I can drink it.

Which is more likely to melt nylons and give you third degree burns?

I guess they don't have drive-thrus in the UK. She pulled up to a window and they handed her the coffee. By then it was too late and she had no way of knowing what temp it was. But McD did know that it was being served at 200F, too hot for anyone to drink.
She balanced it in her lap then spilt it. Coffee is hot, that's a simple fact known to anyone with half a brain. This fuckwit must have thought she 'd ordered pop or something. Is she retarded? What was she doing driving a car if she was that dopey? Fine her for frivolous allegations. Even bet ter drown the lawyer who took her side. Even better drown all lawyers. Sl owly. Take responsibility for your own actions and stop blaming other peop le like pathetic little 6 year olds. In the UK, that lawsuit would have fa iled immediately. But then again, UK intelligence is a lot higher. If you guys would stop protecting your dumbasses, your next generation might matc h the intelligence of the rest of the world and you'd no longer be the laug hing stock of our planet.

Feel free to rant. The jury ruled in her favor, it's over. And I think there was enough evidence there to support the verdict.

There isn't much difference between 200 and 170F.

Yes, we do. But we aren't stupid enough to put hot coffee balanced in stupid places.

It wasn't too late, she was holding it and knew what temperature it was by the sensors in the skin of her hand, yet she chose to balance it in her lap, next to her naughty bits.

Your courts always get things wrong, basically because it's similarly stupid Americans voting in the jury. The simple fact is people should look after themselves. McDonalds did not throw the coffee over her. SHE caused the coffee to spill. ONLY SHE is to blame. This is simple logic and if you can't follow that it's no wonder you spend half your life in courts suing each other, it really is pathetic to watch. Take some responsibility for your on actions and grow the fuck up.
--
Patient: Doctor, I think I need glasses.
Madam: I think so, too. This is a brothel.