Social Security Number

Page 7 of 11
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And what law would that be?

Is that so? So a financial institution, say a bank, doesn't need to make sure the person they are hiring isn't a felon, convicted of theft, embezlement? A medical facility doesn't need to make sure the person they are hiring isn't a violent criminal or murderer? Would you hire someone to work at a hardware store you owned without doing a background check? You'd probably be the first person to sue the hospital if they didn't do a background check and you were then mistreated.

I say you run your business and life the way you want to. Let others run their business and lives the way they want to. If someone is so upset by the request for a SSN from a prospective employer, then they can go find a job elsewhere. It's really that simple.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 05:04:16 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

My employer did a full background check on me, even though I'd worked for them as a contractor for nine months and the contracting agency had done a background check before they hired me. Anyone hiring someone to a position of trust is going to run a background check on prospective employees, if for no other reason than liability.

Oh, we can't have people actually making choices for themselves, now!
Metspitzer wrote:

They want it to run a credit-check on her - get her credit score.
Either that, or a criminal background check.
Here is what I found on-line:
------------ It might cost you the employment opportunity, but I would write "SSN available upon job offer" in that space. They will need the SSN if they do background checks, so you will need to provide it for the background checks if they make an offer. I would prefer to keep that number safe until hired, but it is not always possible. ------------
Seeing as this is probably for a teaching job, the SSN is probably needed for a criminal background check.
Other times, probably for credit check - no employer wants to hire someone who's a financial basket-case.
By the way, I fixed your subject line.

Employers? OK, libraries, they are not getting my real SSN.
People who have no valid need for my SSN get my phone number with the 2 digit year I graduated from high school in the middle. Easy to remember but innocuous.
Oren wrote:

Application, vs. new hire paperwork. It really shouldn't be required until you are in the process of being hired, not just applying. That said, in this age of background checks and whatnot, it may be to your benefit to provide it if you have a name that is shared by others in the country to help avoid being confused with that person on such background checks. Legally they are required to inform you if something bad comes up on a background check and give you an opportunity to contest it, but a great many employers violate that law.

They need the SSN to run the E verify and fill out the I-9
On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 22:41:56 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Right, but they don't need that until a job offer is made and accepted.

Why would you bother to offer a job to someone until you found out they were employable.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 02:17:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I assume every applicant is employable. I may ask a couple of questions first, check age if they look young. It takes very little time to verify.
We lose 25% of applicants when we say we will do a drug test. Many just turn around and walk out the door. There is no need for me to keep a file full of potential identity theft for no good reason.

Exactly... which is why I tell my daughters when taking an interview, they will supply their SS # upon employment.
<stuff snipped>

Good idea. A smart employer should realize that an applicant smart enough to care about securing their own personal data might care enough to protect company data as well.
-- Bobby G.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 11:57:07 -0500, "Robert Green"

Most employers would just think this guy is hiding something or he is going to be a pain in the ass employee and just throw the application in the trash.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:56:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

This hasn't been the case where I live. Perhaps it depends on the type of job you apply for ????

Or the company you apply to. I've refused to supply such information very early in the process. I had one recruiter who demanded my personal information before the first phone interviews, after finding my resume on Monster. I don't think so! I never heard from him again. OTOH, I have no problem supplying it on an application.
The fact is that the SSN horse has long escaped the barn.
On 12-05-2012 12:56, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So this is a good trick to distinguish smart employers from most employers. OK by me--I prefer working for a smart employer.
--
Wes Groleau

Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 20:32:19 -0500, Wes Groleau

I wouldn't intentionally limit my employment options by lying to myself about the sanctity of my SSN.
On Wed, 05 Dec 2012 12:56:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Responsible employers don't ask for personal information they do not need. They don't take on the risk of keeping it on file. Some states have privacy laws that require such information to be kept double locked for security.

Wrong. They invariably ask for this information on the application for employment.
On 6 Dec 2012 03:49:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote:

Wrong, many applications do not even has a space for it these days.
http://www.bbb.org/blog/2011/09/should-i-put-my-social-security-number-on-a-job-application / Remember: Until someone is about to hire you, they have no need for your social security number. If they say they need it for a background check, the job offer can be made contingent on a clean report. The BBB suggests that the safest option for job-seeking consumers is this: Never provide your SSN on a job application until you have a verifiable job offer from a company you trust.
http://humanresources.about.com/b/2012/11/12/you-want-my-social-security-number.htm I would not provide this information on a job application. Keep in mind, though, that on many job applications, you are signing to provide permission to check references, do background checks, allow criminal record checks, and affirming that everything you have provided on the application is the truth. If you do not supply the social security number on the application, you will likely have to make another trip to the company to fill it in, if the employer wants to offer you a job. With all of the new laws about guarding employee and applicant information security, no client with whom I work, asks for this information until the person is hired any more. No one wants to be responsible for guarding this information for the year that it would be accessible in a file.
http://www.shrm.org/TemplatesTools/hrqa/Pages/SocialSecuritynumber.aspx An employment application should request only information directly related to an applicants ability to perform a specific job. As a general practice, employers should request SSN information only when absolutely necessary, e.g., in conjunction with a background check, completing a W-4, or when enrolling the employee into benefits plans. This information should be requested separate from the employment application, and safeguards should be in place to protect and keep this information confidential. Employers should also implement procedures for safe disposal of this information once an employment decision has been made. Some states require security measures to be in place if applications asking for SSN information are transmitted over the Internet, or sent by mail when not in a sealed envelope.