Department of Social Security Administration

A telescammer just left the following message on my GoogleVoice line.  Anyone else getting hit with this scam?

"Phone call from our department is to inform you that we just suspend your social security number because we found some suspicious activity.

So if you want to know about this case, just press one.

Thank you.

This call is from the Department of Social Security Administration.

The reason you have received this phone call from our department is to inform you that we just suspend your social security number because we found some suspicious activity.

So if you want to know about this case, just press one.

Thank you."

FWIW, CallerID shows call from (888) 810-0126 but I suspect the number is as fake as the news on Concocted News Network.

Reply to
Ted Jones

I posted here a couple months ago about this scam. It was on the nightly news, NBC or CBS. They had some nice lady, in her 60s, looked like she could be a school teacher, nice house, etc., who fell for this scame. They told her that her SS ID had been stolen by Mexican drug dealers and the govt was about to shut down all her accounts, seize her money. OK, so what did she do? She followed their instructions, stayed on the phone with them, as they had her drive to her bank and withdraw all her money. OK, so even if you're that dumb, now what? You have the cash in your hands. She followed their direction to take it to an ATM and send it off to a bitcoin account! ROFL. That's a new one, I had no idea you can even do that, maybe it's some special ATM. She lost a few thousand, she probably would have given them everything if she had quick access to it.

Reply to
trader_4

There is no such thing as "Department of". The Social Security Administration is an independent agency in the federal govt.

Reply to
Oren

I figure these people are on commission so it is worth while wasting their time. I tell them I am running W/3.1 that usually goes right over their head and then I start giving them old DOS responses to whatever they have me do. "Bad file or command name" etc. Sometimes they hang up right away but I have had 3 people on the call once, because they thought they had a live one.

Reply to
gfretwell

I never get those calls now that I've dumped my landline. But I kind of miss the opportunity to say "The bootloader is defaulting to Fedora 26".

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Update. I must be a psychic. Guess what was on CBS News last night. Another story about the SS scam and this time, it was a TEACHER! This woman looked to be about 45 or 50, she teaches 8th grade math. So, they call her, claiming to be the SS Admin, tell her that her SS identity has been stolen, that it's being used by criminals, that she's under surveillance by the FBI for money laundering, not to go to the police. They tell her she has to send them money immediately. They keep her on the phone for TEN HOURS as she goes from store to store, buying gift cards, cash debit cards, etc. A lot of them. Fifty thousand dollars worth! Finally, she shows up at her mother's house, where she's captured on a camera, out of breath, telling her she needs to borrow $1800, right away, can't say why. The mother gets suspicious, starts asking questions, and figures out it's a scam. The mother said, "I know the govt doesn't call you and they don't take gift cards". Duh. They say that she put about $20K of the $50K on credit cards and she's hoping they don't make her pay that.

OK folks. So here are the questions. Is it possible that someone could be a school teacher, teaching math, and be this stupid? Fall for this scam, including staying on the phone for ten hours? Also, not that it makes any difference, but they say she's under suspicion for being a money launderer and what do they have her doing? Driving around town, acting like what a money launderer might do. Maybe I can see some elderly, half out of it person falling for this, but a school teacher? Or is this a scam of a scam, ie this is a BS story, that the woman is a scammer, the next step is to set up a go fund me to collect donations, hope that the CC companies will let her off the $20K hook, etc. Also, this all happened in ten hours, where did these cards go? Even if they were dropped in the mail or at FedEx, you'd think that if they went to the cops right away, they could have retrieved the cards. Also, seems very convenient that the woman is captured on a camera as she shows up at her mother's house, breathless, asking for an urgent loan. So, is this real or a scam on top of a scam?

Reply to
trader_4

Well, the story was reported on SeeBS so who knows if it's true.

FWIW, the 45-year-old school teacher is likely making ~$80,000/yr for only working 8 months (sort of a part-time job).  She probably enjoys superb health care benefits and a cushy pension as well, both benefits that private-sector companies are working to eliminate.  Come to think of it, part-time workers rarely get health care and pension benefits.

Anyway, it looks like her community's taxpayers have been fleeced even worster.

Reply to
devnull

Sadly, some teachers know what is in the books but have not been exposed to real life. They are insulated in the academia bubble.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At 25, you're likely below average salary.

At 45, you've likely above average (peaked).

Do I have to explain everything to you?

devnull

Let's assume that she has twenty years experience and is earning $80K. And your problem is? You claim that she only works 8 months. IDK how the schools run where you are, but here they start beginning of Sept and go through mid-June. That's 9.5 months, not 8. Plus, teachers start a week before the students, have to generate their lesson plans, etc. It's not a part time job, it's a job that the govts have defined to exist for about ten months and it is what it is. A teacher typically can't find a temporary job that fits their skills and pays a reasonable salary. I don't blame most of them for not taking a job at MAcy's, though some do, if they can find one. This is just the typical crazy wingnut nonsense of the right. I want teachers paid reasonably well, so we can attract good ones and educate our kids. And $80K for a teacher with 20 years experience is very reasonable, with the two months off in summer part of the attraction that makes that pay level possible.

Reply to
trader_4

Because a lot more opportunitys for smarter people showed up so fewer of them ended up as teachers.

Not just second wave feminism either.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not here they don’t.

Not when they have been doing it for 20 years they don’t.

That’s bullshit too.

There might just be more jobs than there.

They are.

Its always been where plenty who are the dregs of the white collar middles class end up.

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Reply to
Rod Speed