Social Security Number

Agreed. AFTER the hire, it is needed. Prior to, I don't believe it is.

To answer Owen, no, I am not sure bout that. I simply don't find a reason to request it until an applicant becomes an employee.

As for bad credit indicating sloppy people, I also disagree. Many people with poor credit history are responsible, just poor money management. I know several people with this type of history and I can assure you, they aren't sloppy. IMO, it's similar to the insurance agencies asking the SSN to determine rates....bullshit!

Reply to
Meanie

Now that opens a new light and I can see the reason. BUT, I still can't see why they cannot wait to do that if/after they hire the person. Yes, it may avoid a minor hassle of hiring and paperwork, but it isn't difficult, IMO, to simply move on to the runner up applicant.

Reply to
Meanie

I recently requested an auto insurance quote. When he asked for my SS number I asked him why he needed that.

His answer: "You don't have to give me your SS number if you don't want to."

I didn't and still got the quote.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

This was just for the application, not in the pre-hire phase. My guess is that they use that to run background checks.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Is that so? So a financial institution, say a bank, doesn't need to make sure the person they are hiring isn't a felon, convicted of theft, embezlement? A medical facility doesn't need to make sure the person they are hiring isn't a violent criminal or murderer? Would you hire someone to work at a hardware store you owned without doing a background check? You'd probably be the first person to sue the hospital if they didn't do a background check and you were then mistreated.

I say you run your business and life the way you want to. Let others run their business and lives the way they want to. If someone is so upset by the request for a SSN from a prospective employer, then they can go find a job elsewhere. It's really that simple.

Reply to
trader4

I hope you recogize the need to run background checks to avoid hiring someone who is a fugitive? Or hiring a guy convicted of embezlement to be your bookkeeper? Or a night janitor who is a burglar?

Now, would you rather find that out before making the job offer, when you can just politely tell them that you filled the position internally. Or would you prefer to wait until you tell them they have the job, then ask for the SS#, then do the check, then have to tell them the specific reason why they are now not getting the job? How about the candidate turns out to be an axe murderer or a member of the Bloods convicted of a drive-by? You want to make that call?

Reply to
trader4

DerbyDad03 used improper usenet message composition style by unnecessarily full-quoting:

He was asking for your SSN because he wanted to run a credit check on you.

Insurance companies correlate your credit score with your level of trustworthiness and personal responsibility. Apparently, there are studies that show a good credit score is correlated with a lower car accident rate - the theory being that if you are take enough care to keep your finances in control and have a good credit score, you probably also excercise that level of control (judgement, etc) in your driving.

Reply to
Home Guy

Exactly... which is why I tell my daughters when taking an interview, they will supply their SS # upon employment.

Reply to
Doug

Couldn't you "hire subject to" in the offer letter??

Reply to
Doug

It is. I went through the same thing with a co-op we belonged to mainly to get a group health insurance rate. The decided to use the SSN as the primary ID in their database. I protested many times and gave them supporting information. They moved to a "member number" as the primary field just before we left them.

Reply to
George

You must not live in a place where they have a lot of immigrants.

Around here, a job application with a SSN left blank would just be tossed in the trash.

Reply to
gfretwell

Good idea. A smart employer should realize that an applicant smart enough to care about securing their own personal data might care enough to protect company data as well.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Most employers would just think this guy is hiding something or he is going to be a pain in the ass employee and just throw the application in the trash.

Reply to
gfretwell

Here in Massachusetts we use the CORI (Criminal Offender Record Information) system to check all our new employees before they start work.

The CORI system asks for the LAST four digits of the person's SSN.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

ICE wants the whole thing

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@at.biz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Not at the time a person is *applying* for a job, no, it's not needed for tax reasons.

Reply to
Doug Miller

My apologies. It was a typo and quickly realized after I hit the "send" button.

Violence, I can understand and you made valid points in your other reply. I still don'tthink it's right to disqualify simply for a bad credit report. Some people make mistakes and are making amends to better their life. Obtaining a good/better job could be part of doing so. Being judged on that credit could hinder the improvement procedure.

Reply to
Meanie

This hasn't been the case where I live. Perhaps it depends on the type of job you apply for ????

Reply to
Doug

Around here there are immigrants from everywhere immaginable. Chine, eastern Europe, Korea, the middle east, Africa, Central America, South America,Western Europe, Great Britain, the south Pacific and even the USA,

The SSN (SIN here in Canada) is not required untill the offer of employment is made and accepted. The number is then mandatory -

Reply to
clare

So this is a good trick to distinguish smart employers from most employers. OK by me--I prefer working for a smart employer.

Reply to
Wes Groleau