Social Security Number

Page 4 of 11
On 12/7/2012 6:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Not disputing troubled "home guy" but how much do you suppose it adds to the cost of a crate of produce if you load it on an airplane with 5 other crates and fly it 1,000 miles into the most distant of the Northwest territories?

Have you been watching Ice Pilots? That Electra sucks a lot of fuel every mile. In one show they were transporting fuel to some distant outpost and burned as much as they delivered.
http://www.what2fly.com/operating_cost/lockheed/electra_l188.php $11 per mile
Operating Costs Per Hour
Other Related Information
Fuel Cost Per Hour:
$3834.47
Fuel Cost Per Gallon: $5.47
Oil Cost Per Hour:
$4.00
Fuel Type: Jet-A
I love that show. Buffalo Joe, I'd not want to work for him. But, the planes and the situations are really engaging. I'm also very, very glad I'm not there. That weather and such, is really rough. The government is also a PIA. I suspect because Joe's rather dificult to deal with.
Have you been watching Ice Pilots? That Electra sucks a lot of fuel every mile. In one show they were transporting fuel to some distant outpost and burned as much as they delivered.
http://www.what2fly.com/operating_cost/lockheed/electra_l188.php $11 per mile
Operating Costs Per Hour
Other Related Information
Fuel Cost Per Hour:
$3834.47
Fuel Cost Per Gallon: $5.47
Oil Cost Per Hour:
$4.00
Fuel Type: Jet-A
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 15:24:32 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

Transport Canada is a PIA for ANYONE to deal with. A lot of the inspectors are totally clueless about aviation - and business.

Reply center posted.

OK, let's work with the above. Clare told us that it cost $141 to ship a single head of cabbage from Resolute to Arctic Bay, right?
It's a distance of 200 miles. The Electra has a cruise speed of 373mph. Let's be generous and say the flight takes an hour. Per your numbers the fuel cost is $3,800. The Electra has a payload capacity of 45,000 lbs. So, using your numbers the fuel cost per pound for the flight is $.08. Let's say it flies with only a quarter of a load. It's then $.32
Or take the bottom line number you supplied, $11 per mile. Then the trip total operating cost is $2,200
Let's double that assuming there isn't much coming back the other way. The highest number I get is then $.64 per pound of freight.
Now of course there are a lot of other costs involved besides the operating cost of the aircraft, the pilots, depreciation of the aircraft, profits, etc. But do you really think given the above, that it a cabbage costing $16 can be attributed to the air transportation? I can see it being a couple bucks. Which by the way jives with what you stated about it costing as much as the fuel to haul gasoline to the most remote Canadian military base. Four bucks for hauling a gallon of gas, a buck or two for hauling a cabbage. I can deal with that.
And according to Clare the freaking cabbage should cost $141+ because that's what it costs to ship it. And the other thing that makes no sense is that the shipping rate goes up, per pound, the more you ship? I can see that happening for special, large, heavy items. But according to Clare's rates, you could ship those cabbages cheaper one at a time. His rates show that to ship up to 10kg, it's $40 per kg. But if you ship 11kg, then it goes up to $50/kg? That's just a 22 lb item.
Beginning to smell like either the heavy hand of govt or some major shystering to me.

Rom Northern Air Cargo website: http://www.nacargo.com/shipping/rates.php
The formula to calculate total charges is weight x /lb. rate x current fuel surcharge x tax = total
For example: a 72 lb. widget from Anchorage to Bethel would be charged as follows;
72 lb. x .74 (rate) = $53.28 $53.28 x 12% (fuel*) = $59.67 $59.67 x 6.25% (tax) = $63.40 total charges
Effective Date: January 01, 2011
That is AMERICAN North on scheduled flights.
InnCanada, First Air, flying from Resolute to Arctic Bay,1-10KG is $40/kg11-15Kg is $50/Kg, 16-20 is $67/kg, 21-25 is $83/kg, all the way up to 41-44KG at $141/kg.
So, you get a pallet of cabbage, weighing 35KG into Resolute and want to ship it to Arctic Bay, it will cost you $3990 to ship it. Say each cabbage weighs 1Kg (2.2 lbs) the cost per cabbage is $141.
That's just the "base charge" - on top of that, add a 6.5% NavCanada surcharge and a 20% fuel surcharge.
Resolute to Arctic Bay is a short hop. 35 Kg to Pond Inlet is $849 per Kg according to the Domestic Cargo Rates published by First Air at http://www.firstair.ca/flying/tariffs/domestic-cargo-rates /.
You don't have to take my word for it - you can look it up and read it yourself. However, the population of Pond Inlet is 1549 people. Arctic Bay is 823. Resoltute bay is something like 225. Pangnirtung is 1325. And miles of nothing in between.
In comparison, I can ship that same pallet of cabbage today from Waterloo Ontario to Victoria BC for $387 - guaranteed delivery by 9am tuesday - or by next friday for $137.
On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 12:58:00 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Just found more - from Winnipeg to Edmonton, 1-6kg =$70, 7-97kg is $10.14/kg, and 486kg and up is $9.68/kg by air.
From Winnipeg to Pangnirtung, 1-5kg is $47 6-98Kg is only 8.95/kg - Pretty reasonable when you come down to it - but that is from a main city hub, where fuel costs and everything else are a lot lower - and scheduled flights are used. Those hypothetical cabbages would get to Pangnirtung from Winterpeg for $312.55 - a cost of $8.95 each.

LOL What Americans below the 48th don't seem is that once you get about 100 miles north of the US border, most of Canada becomes pretty sparse population-wise. And as the distance increments North, population density keeps dropping exponentially. So do shipping costs.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:28:21 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

I know what you meen - but actually they go UP exponentially

Actually in Saskatchewan, everything stops at about Lloydminster / Prince Albert -about 500km or 300 miles north of the border. Lloydminster is pretty well the border of Alberta and Sak - and Alberta pretty much runs out at about the same latitude. In Manitoba it dips south around lake Winnipeg. In Ontario, the 49th is about it - and also in Quebec and the east, except for Newfoundland - which is sparsely populated even in the "major population centers"And outside of the lower mainland/frazer valley, British Columbia is almost un-inhabited.

I was fortunate enough to spend over a year and a half up in the Arctic, primarily in the NWT and about 3 months in the Yukon, One of the most interesting experiences I ever had.
Love to hear more about it.
I was fortunate enough to spend over a year and a half up in the Arctic, primarily in the NWT and about 3 months in the Yukon, One of the most interesting experiences I ever had.

No home repair involved.
On 12/8/2012 9:03 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

I take it you're Canadian and there is a burning question I've always wanted to ask one of my Canadian cousins. On every SciFi TV show, the outer space aliens who speak English, always seem to have a Canadian accent. I've always been very curious a-boat that, eh? ^_^
TDD
On 12/8/2012 2:28 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Sort of like Australia when you go inland from the coast but in Australia it's warmer. ^_^
TDD
On Dec 8, 12:58pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Are you so dumb that you really think it costs $141 to ship a head of cabbage?
Per your shipping rates above, why would you put it onto a pallet. The heavier the weight, the more you're saying they charge you PER KG. So, send it one cabbage at a time and it will cost a lot less.
In other words, I think as happens frequently, you've got it all screwed up, because those rates make no sense. You want to think about it, check it out and get back to us?

# # Are you so dumb that you really think it costs $141 to # ship a head of cabbage? # # Per your shipping rates above, why would you put it onto # a pallet. The heavier the weight, the more you're saying they # charge you PER KG. So, send it one cabbage at a time # and it will cost a lot less.
Yup I can just see a grocer individually wrapping and shipping cabbages separately And you are foolish enough to imagine that the cargo service will not start charging a minimum ?
# # In other words, I think as happens frequently, you've got it # all screwed up, because those rates make no sense. You # want to think about it, check it out and get back to us? #
Why don't you tell us why those rates do not make sense ? Take as many screens as you need. Get adult help to check your post before you send it.
On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 17:12:02 -0600, " Attila Iskander"

If he was smart enough to look at the reference I gave, and READ it, there IS a minimum. And by "pallet" I guess I should have said a "flat" or "case"

Google first air shipping rates Resolute and see for yourself.

t4 is not smart enough to read carefully and actually think about what he read He's too busy coming up with "responses"
On 12/8/2012 8:39 PM, Attila Iskander wrote:

Heck, I'm looking for a price list for shipping to The International Space Station. ^_^
TDD